posted to rec.boats.building
Ookie Wonderslug

Default Replacing engine.....need advice and tips.

I recently bought a 19ft Stingray SS in pretty much perfect condition
except for the engine. It has a cracked block. I've ordered a
replacement long block 4.3L marine engine. It should be here in a
couple weeks.

I've never replaced the engine in a boat before. It looks pretty
simple and straightforward. But I have never seen how the outdrive
attaches to the engine. Does it have a torque converter or something
back there that just slides out? How are the engines and stern drives
connected? If I undo the bellhousing bolts it should just pull apart,
right?

Any special advice or tips that would help me along?

And where do I look for the replacement gaskets? Is that something my
local boat dealer could get for me? I would suspect so, but it never
hurts to ask.

Last of all, what should I use to actually remove the engine and place
the new one in? The boat is way too high and big to use an engine
hoist. It's not really possible to make a crossbeam and raise it that
way since I have no access to large enough poles and wouldn't be able
to put them in straight and all anyway.

Would a rented backhoe type tractor do the job? How much does a 4.3L
marine engine weigh anyhow?

TIA
posted to rec.boats.building
Terry K

Consider a bipod made from two spars, guyed fore and aft, with a come
along or chain falls to lift it.

Make sure the bottom ends cannot skid anywhere, or punch through the
deck. You can then move the lifted engine sideways somewhat by easing
off one guy, so the bipod top moves fore and aft, or sideways if that
is how it is oriented. Don't stretch it too far, or the whole thing may
collapse. You could probably pass the engine over the stern this way,
perhaps into a big dinghy.

Strip off all ancilliary parts before hoisting, starter, manifolds,
alternator, etc.

I have used the main boom, but that wouldn't apply to a stinkpot, er I
mean a now stinkless pot;-)

That block will weigh 2 -3 cwt. The shipping weight of the replacement
will be a guide.

Terry K

posted to rec.boats.building
John Cassara

Your 19 footer would not be to large for a large cherry picker type engine
hoist. If it's on a trailer on pavement just blow the wheels off and lower
the stern as much as possible. If it's blocked on the hard then have it
reblocked as low as possible. Remember to pull the drive before pulling the
engine, I assume it's a mercuiser setup. With a Volvo or older OMC the drive
can stay on. I have pulled the engine out of a 24' cuddy cabin while blocked
on the hard. After lifting the engine from it's bed I stacked 4 X 4's across
the bed and set the engine down then re-hooked the lifting chain as tight as
possible to get the engine as high as possible with the extension as long as
possible.It created a very top heavy unstable situation but with a helper it
was manageable. I still had to lift/swing the engine to clear the rail.
Don't try to swing it with the Bipod as described in the previous post
that's just asking for a crash. Think it through and used proven equipment
to prevent damage or injury!

"Ookie Wonderslug" wrote in message
[...]

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:38:19 -0400, "John Cassara"
wrote:

[...]

It's a 1986 boat with a OMC Cobra outdrive. Do those have to be
removed or can it stay on? I am thinking about renting a backhoe to do
the hoisting or a boom truck. Reckon they'll lift it?
posted to rec.boats.building
John Cassara

To determine if the drive has to be removed you need to look at the back of
the engine. If there is a drive shaft that connects the drive to the engine
via a splinted flex plate like the mercruser then the drive needs to be
pulled. The early OMC and Volvo set ups had a true intermediate housing that
resembled an automotive transmission. If this is the case then there is no
need to pull the drive.

If your outdrive looks like this you need to pull it before pulling the
engine.
http://www.obparts.com/catalog/images/cobra_upper.jpg