posted to rec.boats.building
Ookie Wonderslug

Default Replacing engine.....need advice and tips.

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 21:38:19 -0400, "John Cassara"
wrote:

Your 19 footer would not be to large for a large cherry picker type engine
hoist. If it's on a trailer on pavement just blow the wheels off and lower
the stern as much as possible. If it's blocked on the hard then have it
reblocked as low as possible. Remember to pull the drive before pulling the
engine, I assume it's a mercuiser setup. With a Volvo or older OMC the drive
can stay on. I have pulled the engine out of a 24' cuddy cabin while blocked
on the hard. After lifting the engine from it's bed I stacked 4 X 4's across
the bed and set the engine down then re-hooked the lifting chain as tight as
possible to get the engine as high as possible with the extension as long as
possible.It created a very top heavy unstable situation but with a helper it
was manageable. I still had to lift/swing the engine to clear the rail.
Don't try to swing it with the Bipod as described in the previous post
that's just asking for a crash. Think it through and used proven equipment
to prevent damage or injury!

It's a 1986 boat with a OMC Cobra outdrive. Do those have to be
removed or can it stay on? I am thinking about renting a backhoe to do
the hoisting or a boom truck. Reckon they'll lift it?