Jess

Default Advice on nail-sick strip-planked boat?

Can anyone advise me on treating my nail-sick strip-planked boat?

She is iroko on steamed oak beams. The planks have been fastened both
transversely and into the beams with ferrous nails (I think they are
steel). These are now apparently rusting, and pushing out the wooden
pellets filling the counter-sinking above the nail-heads. A few have
popped completely, many are just forcing the pellets up proud of the
outside surface of the hull.

Perhaps because this has been a long-standing problem, a previous
owner has epoxy-sheathed the whole vessel. Clearly it hasn't fixed the
problem.

How is this best treated?
Should I remove the pellets and treat the nails? What would I treat
them with?
Can I replace the nails in any way?
How would I make good the epoxy coating? Can I just patch it with
epoxy after making my repairs, or will this ruin its integrity?

Any thoughts would be really welcome.

Thanks,
Jess
Steve Lusardi

I have noticed that no one else has responded to your query. I think you
know the answer already. There is no practical way to remove all the nails
without destoying all the planking. You have to ask yourself if you want to
replank the hull or if you want to sell it to some one else who will,
because replanking is the only solution. Be advised that if common steel
nails were used in the planking, they probably were used elsewhere as well.
Steve
"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Karin Conover-Lewis

I have to wonder whether it wouldn't be feasible to drill out the current
rusted nails with a plug-cutter, glue plugs into place, then refasten --
offsetting the original holes slightly. Another idea (again, I don't know
how feasible) would be to drill out the rusted nails and then refasten in
the same hole, but using trunnels instead of nails or screws.

--
Karin Conover-Lewis
Fair and Balanced since 1959

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
I have noticed that no one else has responded to your query. I think you
know the answer already. There is no practical way to remove all the nails
without destoying all the planking. You have to ask yourself if you want

replank the hull or if you want to sell it to some one else who will,
because replanking is the only solution. Be advised that if common steel
nails were used in the planking, they probably were used elsewhere as

well.
Steve
"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Robert Haston

Super power magnet like in the cartoons?

Two analogies, arrows and splinters.

Arrows: Grind off the heads, pull the ribs free one at a time and drive the
nails through.

Splinters: Whatever will do the least amount of tissue damage around the
nail. Given that the wood's strength is lengthwise, get at the nail from
the sides where it has already cut the grain with needle nose pliers.

"Karin Conover-Lewis" wrote in message
[...]

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Steve Lusardi

To the other responders, Jess said strip pkanked. That means that the strips
are edge fastened to each other as well as being fastened to the ribs.
Therefore no access is possible without removing the plank above.
Steve
"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Scott Downey

How about drilling down thru the popped plugs with a sharpened roll pin to
remove the nail and then use bronze screws or rivits in their place or
How about leaving the nails in place and using bronze screws or copper
rivits in new holes to attach the strip planks to the frames.So many nails
starting to go and no way anyone wants to pull them all out. This way it
would just be a cosmetic thing and not a structural issue.

"Jess" wrote in message
om...
[...]

boat partner advice -- anyone with experience? Dustin General 11 March 2nd 04 02:33 PM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM