posted to rec.boats.building

Default finding marine plywood

I live in west Arkansas and can't find any at any of the local
lumberyards. I'm wanting 1/8 sheets. Where within a few hundred miles
would have this. I know its in Kansas City which is where I got some
last time but thats so much for gas that I don't think I will ever go
up there again

posted to rec.boats.building
Denny

Take a look at exterior Luan ply... Just built two dingy's for the
grand kids... One out of marine fir at $55 a sheet and the other out of
mostly Luan at $9 a sheet... The Luan boat lots easier to finish
because it is smooth to begin with... By the time the plywood is
coated with epoxy and then painted the plywood can't tell if it is on a
boat or a house... The fir boat is taking as long to finish the hull
as it took to build because the fir (**** pine) is so rough, and is
taking more dollars in epoxy, filler, etc..

denny

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

When I was shopping for marine ply (mail order) several dealers told me to
forget about the fir ply. Occume was only a few dollars extra and well
worth that difference. (BS 1088 from Israel). Beautiful stuff.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Take a look at exterior Luan ply... Just built two dingy's for the
grand kids... One out of marine fir at $55 a sheet and the other out of
mostly Luan at $9 a sheet... The Luan boat lots easier to finish
because it is smooth to begin with... By the time the plywood is
coated with epoxy and then painted the plywood can't tell if it is on a
boat or a house... The fir boat is taking as long to finish the hull
as it took to build because the fir (**** pine) is so rough, and is
taking more dollars in epoxy, filler, etc..

denny

posted to rec.boats.building
Denny

Yeah... A the time the marine fir was the only stuff available locally
so I bought four sheets of it... Then by reading groups like this I
discovered the luan and decided to try it for the 2nd dingy project..
I now have 'slightly' bigger boat to build and I'm waiting on delivery
of 200 sheets of Okume with another 200 on order... I have a some test
sheets of Okume on hand that I am currently doing vacuum bagging tests
with... Nice stuff..

denny

posted to rec.boats.building
Shane

Where did you find marine lumber in KC? I'm in KC and don't know where
to find it.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane wrote:
Where did you find marine lumber in KC? I'm in KC and don't know where
to find it.

Thanks,
Shane

Paxton lumber will order it but be patient. I waited 6 weeks or so

posted to rec.boats.building
Shane

A local lumber yard said they have something called superply which is
1/4 fir faced with okoume.

I'm inclined to spend the money (about twice the amount per sheet) and
get all okoume. In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't raise the
price of the boat extraordinarily and might make me sleep better.

Has anyone heard of this superply and what do you all think?

Thanks,
Shane