Matt Langenfeld

Default Building own pontoon boat

I was thinking of coming up with some plans for something like:

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_bravo.html

Similar to what you've drawn. The idea behind it is for sailing, rowing,
maybe a small trolling motor, stable platform for fishing, etc.

wrote:

"KA Turner" wrote in message
om...

Mr. Watt et al :
I have the boat conceptual diagram posted on
http://kturnerga.tripod.com/boat.jpg

The main idea is to make the unit portable in a passenger vehicle.
Should this be a pipe dream I may have to wait until I buy the Ford
Explorer
Ken

/

Rick Tyler

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:02:01 GMT, Matt Langenfeld
wrote:

I was thinking of coming up with some plans for something like:

http://www.hobiecat.com/sailing/models_bravo.html

Similar to what you've drawn. The idea behind it is for sailing, rowing,
maybe a small trolling motor, stable platform for fishing, etc.

Damn Hobie Alter. I designed (well, drew a sketch anyway) a 12-foot
rigid catamaran about 25 years ago. I was told that there was no
market for it.

Go ahead, Matt. Copy my idea.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian

Stephen Baker

Rick Tyler says:

Damn Hobie Alter.

I'll second that! My father designed an asymmetrical 7'10" catamaran in 1959,
with a pyramid rig. Whole thing would fit on the roof of the car in pieces, in
the water in about 10 minutes.
After he died in 1983, we found the plans, well after Hobie had "patented" the
asymm cat idea. I guess the old Man was just ahead of his time....

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Stephen Baker

Drew says:

What part of a hobie cat is asymetrical?

The original Hobie 12's and 16s (I think) hd asymm hulls and thus no
daggerboards, resulting in them being extremely popular as beach cats. Each
hull was its own daggerboard, so to speak.

Steve
William R. Watt

Drew Dalgleish ) writes:

What part of a hobie cat is asymetrical? I haven't sailed one for a
long time but I always thought they were symetrical.

the hulls are not equalateral triangles. they are scalene, all three
angles different to provide lateral resistance without keels or
daggerboards. the hulls are the same as proa hulls.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm