posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default centerboard paint???

The Chebacco's CB is entirely enclosed in the case. The boat will live on a
trailer. Is there any reason to apply paint to the interior of the case and
or to the CB? Both are well encapsulated with epoxy.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
Matt Colie

Roger,
I guess the question is not clear.

If you are asking if it needs paint for protection from water intrusion,
what paint would be an improvement on the epoxy?

If you are asking if it needs anti-fouling paint, what is the longest
you expect it to be in water that grows things?
If it is more than a week, think about it, but not all anti-fouling
paints will stay active if left in air too long.

Matt Colie

derbyrm wrote:

The Chebacco's CB is entirely enclosed in the case. The boat will live on a
trailer. Is there any reason to apply paint to the interior of the case and
or to the CB? Both are well encapsulated with epoxy.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

I think I've gotten the answer, it's not needed. You have the same thoughts
I did/do. I just wondered if there was something I'd missed.

Thanks,

derbyrm wrote:

The Chebacco's CB is entirely enclosed in the case. The boat will live
on a trailer. Is there any reason to apply paint to the interior of the
case and or to the CB? Both are well encapsulated with epoxy.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

posted to rec.boats.building
Dane

Actually, I have a question just like this:

I (will) have a centerboard made from iron/steel (weighing
250kg/550lbs).

It will be on a "dinghy" that will mostly stay in the water.

Should I coat it with epoxy, and then paint it (with "normal"paint),
coat it just with epoxy, just with paint, or which solution you think
would be the best?

Regards,

Andre

posted to rec.boats.building
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dane" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, I have a question just like this:

I (will) have a centerboard made from iron/steel (weighing
250kg/550lbs).

It will be on a "dinghy" that will mostly stay in the water.

Should I coat it with epoxy, and then paint it (with "normal"paint),
coat it just with epoxy, just with paint, or which solution you think
would be the best?

Regards,

Andre

I had a boat with an iron centerboard that was kept in the water all sumer
on the great lakes (U.S. fresh water).

I actually saw the centerboard exactly twice during the 10 years I owned it.
Once was when I first owned it, it was about 25 years old and I was re-doing
the bottom (peel the gel coat) - the iron was pitted some, there was no sign
of any kind of coating, but there was nothing growing on it. And once more,
about 10 years later, after it had gotten stuck in the trunk. I didn't see
any growth on it then either.

I assume that, in general, plants need light to grow, and it's pretty dark
up in the centerboard trunk.

I would suggest that some epoxy to retard corrosion would be in order. I
used some made by Interlux specifically for iron on the keel - it held up
quite well. (I never put anything on the centerboard)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Would a "zinc" of some sort be in order? (first cousin to a coat of
galvanize?)

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:2sOdnZYGqMjgCNjZnZ2dnUVZ_v6dnZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
"Dane" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

oh, yes, I should have mentioned that of course. It will indeed have
zinks - if for nothing else, then just to make sure that the swingkeel
won't come into contact with other metals.

The water is sal****er, mostly the baltic sea etc. (danish waters,
swedish skerry etc.).

Ron, that sounds really poisonous? I mean as in "pollution"?

The hull itself is clear mahogany/epoxy, with 3 coats of epifanes, and
when I'm done, I will try polishing the entire thing, and not least the
bottom, with anhydrous lanolin, at least for a couple of years (manual
scrubbing).

Geoffrey,

Epoxying it sounds good, since it's not superpoisonous. do you guys
think that covering it with lanolin on top of the epoxy would help it a
little more?

I am actually thinking of foregoing galvannising altogether, simply
because I have had some bad experiences with galvanised iron. I'm still
not sure, but I will certainly install zinks on the boat, just as an
extra safety, so to speak.

Sincerely,

Andre

posted to rec.boats.building
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dane" wrote in message
ups.com...
Geoffrey,

Epoxying it sounds good, since it's not superpoisonous. do you guys
think that covering it with lanolin on top of the epoxy would help it a
little more?

I have no experience with salt water, so I don't know all of the kinds of
things that might grow on your boat.

But if the lanolin keeps the bottom clean, it can't hurt to have some on the
centerboard. Correct?