iawia

Default Hydraulic steering repair

I'm about to take my hydraulic steering (on small 19' Bellboy) apart to repair it.
It works except it slips when turning left (or port). Any hints on what to look for?

Evan Gatehouse

While I did replace the seals on my steering cylinder I would NOT delve into
a helm pump. Lots of little parts and springs that tend to jump about. I
would have no hesitation about doing the seals on the cylinder; they are
simple.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)

"iawia" wrote in message
newsvldc.54975$Ig.36482@pd7tw2no...
I'm about to take my hydraulic steering (on small 19' Bellboy) apart to
repair it.
It works except it slips when turning left (or port). Any hints on what to
look for?

JSE

Hydraulics are hydraulics....the main thing to look for if something is binding, is for imperfections in the shafts. ie deteriorated seal sticking to it. Does it leak or is it just not performing up to standards? Slippage tells me you have a leaking seal. If you can't see the leak, it may be on one of the internal seals. There are normally two seals on each end of each shaft. This is a failsafe, to keep hydraulic fluid from leaking out and seawater/air from leaking in if one seal fails. Usually the seals are cupped inward and specific to where they go. The best advice for a do-it-yourselfer is to take a close up picture at each step, and make sure you actually use the CLYMER/HAYNES/CHILTON manual.
Joe

"iawia" wrote in message
newsvldc.54975$Ig.36482@pd7tw2no...
I'm about to take my hydraulic steering (on small 19' Bellboy) apart to
repair it.
It works except it slips when turning left (or port). Any hints on what to
look for?

Hydraulic Steering vs. cable - Opinions CCred68046 General 1 July 4th 04 03:24 PM
Do large outboards need hydraulic steering? tbd General 7 July 3rd 04 05:17 PM
cable steering Gregory McGuire General 1 June 8th 04 12:52 AM
Hydraulic steering for a 40ft cat? Michal General 6 March 13th 04 02:35 AM
Hydraulic steering seizing remedies please Chester General 1 October 28th 03 07:11 PM