posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default Carbon Fiber

Quite a while back someone from Oz described how they finished the keels and
skegs of their kayaks with epoxy laden with Silicon Carbide, the stuff one
grinds telescope mirrors with. I quote "The ramp doesn't mark our boats.
Our boats mark the ramp."

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"Marc Reeves" wrote in message
Thanks guys,

I've decided against the carbon fiber and to go, instead, with the
glass/epoxy/graphite option instead

posted to rec.boats.building
Sal's Dad

A thick graphite/epoxy mix, spread liberally on the bottom, is really good.
Put it on as a finish coat, NOT to wet/fill the glass.

Even better, the dories stored on cobble beaches of Grand Manaan Island are
sheathed with UHMW plastic panels. They just slide them down over the
rocks to launch, winch out. The problem is that this stuff doesn't adhere
to anything, and must be mechanically fastened.

Sal's Dad

Ping:... Joe Capt.Mooron ASA 24 March 31st 06 08:06 PM
The ANTARCTIC Bart Senior ASA 71 March 18th 06 08:30 AM
free carbon fiber cloth available in hawaii [email protected] General 1 February 26th 06 07:58 PM
What boat for me? Frank Boettcher ASA 43 February 21st 06 05:24 PM
free carbon fiber cloth available granite stone Boat Building 5 January 15th 06 04:45 PM