posted to alt.sailing.asa
Bart Senior

Default The ANTARCTIC

It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lloyd Bonafide

Yeah, some evidence:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=776766

Lloyd

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Yes, thanks for point that out.

"In the past 10 years, the warmer temperatures over the eastern part of the
Antarctic ice sheet have allowed that air to gather more moisture. Snow has
been falling and causing part of the ice sheet to thicken slowing the rise
of the sea level by a tiny amount."

Operative word, "tiny."

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lloyd Bonafide

What about this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11...ts_thickening/

In the northern hemisphere where the "warming" is supposed to be the most.

But then:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0130074839.htm

And growing glaciers:

http://www.awra.org/state/alaska/nre.../aknr0301.html

Now I'm really, really worried:

http://www.iceagenow.com/Growing_Glaciers.htm

Now sea ice is declining:

http://nsidc.org/news/press/20050928...scontinue.html

When ice melts in a full glass does the glass overflow?

Melting sea ice actually causes a drop in sea level.

Lloyd

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message ...
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. JG

Well, it's pretty clear that you don't believe that global warming is
happening and that we can do something about it. So, good for you. Perhaps
you should post a few dozen more links... like I'm going to take the time
out of my busy schedule! Bwahahahahaaaaa

--

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Lloyd Bonafide

I never said whether I believe global warming exists or not, furthermore
whether I believe it or not ,means nothing. I can show data from the ERB and
GOES satellites that clearly show solar irradiance has increased in step
with increases in measured surface temperatures. Mars has shown the same
correlated temperature rise. If you those facts are causal rather than just
correlated then what exactly do you propose to do to negate the effects of
the sun's increased output? I'm all ears for your suggestions. Should we
stop driving cars, using hairspray and plant more trees?

Lloyd

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" .@. wrote in message
It seems an undersea volcano caused the Larsen B
ice shelf to collaspe. I didn't see this in the news.

Evidence of the volcano came as an unintended bonus
from a research plan to investigate why a massive ice
sheet, known as the Larsen B, collapsed and broke up
several years ago.

Scientists hope to understand whether such a collapse is
unique or part of a cycle that extends over hundreds of
thousands of years.

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.js...0385&from=news

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. JG" wrote in message

And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

Not true. There is evidence that the net ice mass change in Antarctica is
positive, not negative. Satellite and ground station date both point to a
slight cooling trend in Antarctica over the past 20 years.

Joughin, I, and Tulaczyk, S., 2002, "Positive mass balance of the Ross Ice
Streams, West Antarctica," Science 295: 476-80.

Thompson, D.W.J., and Solomon, S., 2002, "Interpretation of recent Southern
Hemisphere climate change," Science 296: 895-99.

Comiso, J.C., 2000, Variability and trends in Antarctic surface temperatures
from in situ and satellite infrared measurements," Journal of Climate 13:
1674-96.

Look 'em up.

Max

posted to alt.sailing.asa
Maxprop

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
And plenty of evidence of major melting going on.. which is too bad.

Yeah, some evidence:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory?id=776766

Lloyd

There is a positive mass balance in the West ice sheet as well. I provided
a reference in my other post to Jon.

Considering that Antarctica comprises 90% of the world's ice, that's
significant.

Max