Greg

Default Cleaning unfinished fiberglass

I removed the vinyl head liner in my Laguna 24. What is a good way to clean
the unfinished fiberglass in the boats interior in order to remove all the
mold and dirt prior to replacing the head liner?
Thanks,
Greg.

Lew Hodgett

"Greg" writes:
\ I removed the vinyl head liner in my Laguna 24. What is a good way to
clean
the unfinished fiberglass in the boats interior in order to remove all the
mold and dirt prior to replacing the head liner?

A right angle sander/grinder equipped with 16 or maybe 24 grit discs.

It works for me.

YMMV

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Greg

And that removes the mold how? Only the surface unless grinding deep or
completely through, and the spores are still there.

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Greg" writes:
\ I removed the vinyl head liner in my Laguna 24. What is a good way to
clean
the unfinished fiberglass in the boats interior in order to remove all

the
mold and dirt prior to replacing the head liner?

A right angle sander/grinder equipped with 16 or maybe 24 grit discs.

It works for me.

YMMV

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Glenn Ashmore

Spray it with some X-14 or chlorox and water to kill off the mold.
Ideally after that you would pressure wash but that is probably not an
option with a fitted out interior. Probably cover everything with poly
sheet and use a stiff bristle brush and lots of water.

Greg wrote:

I removed the vinyl head liner in my Laguna 24. What is a good way to clean
the unfinished fiberglass in the boats interior in order to remove all the
mold and dirt prior to replacing the head liner?
Thanks,
Greg.

Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Lew Hodgett

"Greg" And that removes the mold how? Only the surface unless grinding
deep or
completely through, and the spores are still there.

Watch me use a sander, probably answer your question.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

Lew Hodgett

"Greg" writes:

Gee, I never knew mold could be killed with a sander.....LOL.

Trust me, everything ends up in the dust.

Picture the mad dentist with a drill in search of tooth decayG.

That's me with a 16 grit sander.

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures

auerbach

Check Google for info on using bleach to kill mold. Most authoritative sites
will tell you to use a fairly mild mix of bleach to water -- half a cup or
so of bleach to a gallon of water, plus a little ammonia-free detergent
(make sure it's OK to use with bleach.) It's tempting to assume that if a
little bleach will kill mold, a lot of bleach, or pure bleach, will kill the
spores faster. But that's not the case. Spray the bleach/water mixture on
with a pump bottle. For the final cleanup, don't wipe off the diluted
bleach; let it air-dry.

Since you're spraying around bleach, you'll have to cover all surfaces that
could be damaged by overspray, and you'll want to be careful about what you
are breathing -- neither mold nor bleach is particularly good for your
lungs.

Alex