Stephen Baker

Default Ever heard of a steel version of the Tahiti Ketch?

Gil says:

Great, I'd love to know..

Sadly, i was mistooken. I thought it was one of Yves Tanton's Tahiti-inspired
boats, but he says the chine line is all wrong for one of his.
Good luck with the hunt.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/pr...cbweb/home.htm
Steve

Ya know! That picture of the stern and the stern post looks familiar but I
can't place it.. I'll look through some of my disign books.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

I can't find what I was looking for in my books on steel hulls.

Is it possible that this is a steel adaptation of the Dreadnought 32.. (the
Dreadnought was a '70s adaptation for GRP of the Hanna Tahiti)

From Gils picture, it looks larger than 32ft and has a much longer cabin
trunk.

Steve

Gil G.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:50:45 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I can't find what I was looking for in my books on steel hulls.

Is it possible that this is a steel adaptation of the Dreadnought 32.. (the
Dreadnought was a '70s adaptation for GRP of the Hanna Tahiti)

From Gils picture, it looks larger than 32ft and has a much longer cabin
trunk.

Steve

Hello Steve,

I really appreciate the effort, thanks!

If anyone else wants to give it a try:

http://keskydee.com/sailing/images/

Gil.

MMC

Gil,
Was this boat at Cape Marina in Port Canaveral? There was a steel boat I was
told was a Tahiti in the yard there for a while.
MMC
"Gil G." wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 15:17:14 -0500, Courtney Thomas
wrote:

This boat actually just sold off Ebay, I believe.

See p274 from "From My Old Boatshop" by Weston Farmer.

Hi,

No, it sat for a few years in a marina in Florida, and was never
proposed on Ebay.
Westom Farmer designed the Tahitiana, a multi chine boat. I actually
have a set of plans. However, this boat has one chine.
It certainly looks a lot like one, and I first thought it was.

Sincerely,

Gil.

Gil G.

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 17:11:06 GMT, "MMC" wrote:

Gil,
Was this boat at Cape Marina in Port Canaveral? There was a steel boat I was
told was a Tahiti in the yard there for a while.

No, it was in Ft. Lauderdale for years. Real Tahitis are made in wood.
The design is definitely based on the Tahiti though..

Gil.
Mat Wheeler

Hi Gil.

William and John Atkin had some of V Hull double enders.
It looks like and enlarged "Economy Jane":

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/EconomyJane.html
garry crothers

"Gil G." wrote in message
Hello,

Has anyone heard of a steel version of the Tahiti Ketch, single
chine..?

Could be a Merritt Walter designed Gypsy Rover..

garry

Jacques

"Steve" wrote in message ...
Ya know! That picture of the stern and the stern post looks familiar but I
can't place it.. I'll look through some of my disign books.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

What's weird is that everybody seem to forget that the Tahiti ketch
was just one of many variation's on the Colin Archer style. You can
design that type of boat without having ever seen a Tahiti ketch . . .
I know of a few French designers who produced boats in that style.
Tanton is one of them but since Stephen Baker checked, it must be one
of the other 20 designers who produced norvegians double enders.
Or Atkin? Did he design for steel?

Jacques Mertens
http://bateau.com