WWagner406

Default Varnish Question

Finishing up a Cosine Wherry, on which I used system three epoxy, and want the
atlantic white cedar with cherry trim to show through as clear as possible.
Question: How much of a color difference would I have using Z-spar Flagship
varnish versus the Z-spar Captains varnish???
Brian D

Best thing to do is to buy a quart of each and try them side by side. I
haven't tried the Flagship version yet, but have used the Captains quite a
bit. It has a traditional varnish 'golden' color to it that I really like
and it seems to be relatively tough too. I have used it over Eastern White
Ash and Cherry and thought it looked great ...to my eyes, much better and
classier than a water-clear finish like the new 'crystal' water based
varathane product has for example (careful with the varathane ...no UV
inhibitors that I know of.)

Brian D

http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass

"WWagner406" wrote in message
Finishing up a Cosine Wherry, on which I used system three epoxy, and want

the
atlantic white cedar with cherry trim to show through as clear as

possible.
Question: How much of a color difference would I have using Z-spar

Flagship
varnish versus the Z-spar Captains varnish???

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

I've used both Captain's and Flagship. I think the Flagship is clearer.

However, having said that I'm a big fan of Epiphanes. The stuff goes
on easily, you can brush it around long after you think you should
be able to, and it comes out smoooooooooth. I used some on
my interior trim and it looks awesome. It's also very clear.
I know it's expensive but I think it's well worth it.

Matt

"Brian D" wrote in message
[...]

WWagner406

Thanks for the replys guys!!
Brian D

Have you tried Epifanes on overhead surfaces? Like a bright finished
ceiling in a pilot house?

Brian

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My boat project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com -- Discounted System Three Resins

link.net...

"Brian D" wrote in message
[...]

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen

No, but some of the trim I did was horizontal/overhead.
No problems (at least, nothing unexpected). Just get
the stuff on the overhead surface quickly so it doesn't have a
lot of time to soak back deep into the brush.

"Brian D" wrote in message
Have you tried Epifanes on overhead surfaces? Like a bright finished
ceiling in a pilot house?

Brian

Jim

I use the Epithanes wood finish, it does not need to be sanded between
coats (if done within 72 hours of last coat), I put it on with one of
those small, white foam rollers. I do brush some of it out, but only
around edges and corners.

The roller works great on an overhead, by the way.

I saw someone applying varnish to cabinets on one of those home
improvement shows and tried it. People who see me using a roller are
horrified. But the results are every bit as good as the brush.

It lasts almost a year (9 coats). Looks like varnish (it IS varnish).
One coat takes 15 minutes with the roller, 2 hours with a brush. And
I'm always asked if maintaining the varnish is a lot of hard work.

And people use Cetol because it's easier, HA.
Jim

"Brian D" wrote in message

Have you tried Epifanes on overhead surfaces? Like a bright finished
ceiling in a pilot house?

Brian

Another strip-plank question - a bit long Pete Boat Building 3 January 12th 04 08:03 PM
Friday Ethics Question Gary Warner General 67 November 24th 03 01:59 PM
new can for Z-Spar Captains 1015 varnish? paul martin Boat Building 0 September 29th 03 10:24 AM
Hippo Oil varnish fc Boat Building 0 September 13th 03 07:13 AM
The mythology of varnish Don White General 0 July 21st 03 03:37 PM