posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Default Marine grade electricals

Hi,

Anybody know where I can get marine grade (NEMA 4X / IP-66 or better)
joysticks, potentiometers, rocker switches and the like? Need to install a
bunch of these on a 286' ship... and they'll have direct weather exposure.
Preferably, these items would be the larger kind that you see on tractors
and what not since they'll be operated by gloved hands.

Thx,
Brian D

posted to rec.boats.building
bBob

"Brian D" wrote in message
Hi,

Anybody know where I can get marine grade (NEMA 4X / IP-66 or better)
joysticks, potentiometers, rocker switches and the like?

Lot's of those come through ebay. I pickup the majority of my switches for
my boat projects there.

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

CTI's F series is probably going to be your best bet in generic NEMA4
joysticks. I am using one on my CNC router table for jog/shuttle control
and it works great. Not a marine application but it sure catches a lot of
crap. Bashed by slabs of wood and metal, splashed with coolant etc.
http://www.ctielectronics.com/miniature_joysticks.htm .

Most of the regular marine suppliers build them specific to their systems.

RayMarine makes a heavy duty electric joystick for about $500 but it may
work only with their autopilot. However Ultradynamic also offers one as an
add on to their jet drives that looks suspiciously like the RayMarine.
Volvo has one but it seems to be custom for their IPS drive systems. Gresen
and Parker both make a marine grade hydraulic system that are used on big
ships. Mathers Marine makes a joystick panel but I think it only works
with their MasterCommand system.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Brian D" wrote in message
Hi,

Anybody know where I can get marine grade (NEMA 4X / IP-66 or better)
joysticks, potentiometers, rocker switches and the like? Need to install
a bunch of these on a 286' ship... and they'll have direct weather
exposure. Preferably, these items would be the larger kind that you see on
tractors and what not since they'll be operated by gloved hands.

Thx,
Brian D

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Thanks, Glenn. I'll look into these. Even if part of an OEM product, some
outfits will tell you who made particular components so you can contact the
makers and consider adding them to your own system. In this particular
case, cost is not an issue ...while quality and performance is.

Thx,
Brian

"Brian D" wrote in message
Hi,

Anybody know where I can get marine grade (NEMA 4X / IP-66 or better)
joysticks, potentiometers, rocker switches and the like? Need to install
a bunch of these on a 286' ship... and they'll have direct weather
exposure. Preferably, these items would be the larger kind that you see
on tractors and what not since they'll be operated by gloved hands.

Thx,
Brian D

posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Brian D wrote:
Thanks, Glenn. I'll look into these. Even if part of an OEM product, some
outfits will tell you who made particular components so you can contact the
makers and consider adding them to your own system. In this particular
case, cost is not an issue ...while quality and performance is.

Thx,
Brian

I'd contact the suppliers of Marine Steering gears. They often use
steering stations on exposed wing bridges and all the jog
levers/switches, etc. are all out in the open.

Maybe try Jastram (Steering)

Evan Gatehouse
posted to rec.boats.building
Brian D

Thanks, Evan. I'll check into it. Though of calling some shipyards too.
I'm near Seattle, WA and Portland, OR and they both have big shipyards
....new ships and repairs. It's just a matter of getting the right guy on
the horn...

Brian