posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Chris

Default Source for Plug for Cable Access Hole in Mast?

There is a ~ 1 13/16" cable access hole in the
base of the mast, currently covered by tape.

Where can I find some kind of plug or lid for
this hole? Any pionters would be appreciated,
Home Depot and Froogle failed me.

Thanks!

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Matt Colie

Hello again,
Did you try McMaster-Carr? (www.mcmaster.com)
And
You might want to be free thinking here.
Matt Colie

Chris wrote:

There is a ~ 1 13/16" cable access hole in the
base of the mast, currently covered by tape.

Where can I find some kind of plug or lid for
this hole? Any pionters would be appreciated,
Home Depot and Froogle failed me.

Thanks!

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Roger Long

No, no, NO!

Every single thing that goes on a boat has to be from a marine supply
store. It must be approved by the manufacturer for it's intended use
and have an identifying part number. It may have come from the exact
machine as the same item at the local True Value but it must be in a
little plastic bag with the numbers and the price will be three to
four times higher. This even applies to none critical items like
plugs and trim pieces such as you describe.

Just kidding. That's the way it is in aviation. You know, it's kind
of nice not to be managing an airplane anymore. I just had a very
relaxing day working on my boat and learning how to splice double
braid.

BTW "Fid Length" for New England Ropes has nothing to do with the
fids. It's just a term they made up for the measurements in the kit
or instructions. Follow them *exactly* and everything will work out
fine even though it's a complete mystery what you are doing until the
finished splice is suddenly sitting there in your hands.

--

Roger Long

Chris wrote:

There is a ~ 1 13/16" cable access hole in the
base of the mast, currently covered by tape.

Where can I find some kind of plug or lid for
this hole? Any pionters would be appreciated,
Home Depot and Froogle failed me.

Thanks!

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Don White

Roger Long wrote:
[...]

We learned to splice line in our Power Squadron 'Piloting' course.
Trouble is, I haven't tried it since.
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Leanne

Just kidding. That's the way it is in aviation. You know, it's kind
of nice not to be managing an airplane anymore.

When I still get the urge, I take the motorcycle out for a couple hours for
a cure.

Leanne
94 Honda Magna V4

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Ryk

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 22:03:15 GMT, in message

"Roger Long" wrote:

Every single thing that goes on a boat has to be from a marine supply
store. It must be approved by the manufacturer for it's intended use
and have an identifying part number.

And of course, all of those part numbers must be entered in the
maintenance log and signed off by both of the professional tech who
make the installation ;-)

Just kidding. That's the way it is in aviation. You know, it's kind
of nice not to be managing an airplane anymore. I just had a very
relaxing day working on my boat and learning how to splice double
braid.

BTW "Fid Length" for New England Ropes has nothing to do with the
fids. It's just a term they made up for the measurements in the kit
or instructions. Follow them *exactly* and everything will work out
fine even though it's a complete mystery what you are doing until the
finished splice is suddenly sitting there in your hands.

I found it far less mystifying to follow Brion Toss's instructions
with one of his splicing wands. But you are right about the "exactly".
Don't let anybody watch you splice, especially not anybody who might
open their mouth and distract you in the middle.

Ryk

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Peter Bennett

On 12 Mar 2006 10:29:43 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

There is a ~ 1 13/16" cable access hole in the
base of the mast, currently covered by tape.

Where can I find some kind of plug or lid for
this hole? Any pionters would be appreciated,
Home Depot and Froogle failed me.

Thanks!

I'd wander over to the machine shop at work, and find a scrap of 1/16"
or so aluminum sheet - cut to size, and secure with screws.

I doubt if you'll find a commercial hole plug to fit.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Wayne.B

On 12 Mar 2006 10:29:43 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

There is a ~ 1 13/16" cable access hole in the
base of the mast, currently covered by tape.

Where can I find some kind of plug or lid for
this hole? Any pionters would be appreciated,
Home Depot and Froogle failed me.

By the time you consider all the lousy alternatives, you may decide
that some fresh tape would look pretty good.

posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
derbyrm

Buy plug, then ream hole to fit?

Or, you could treat it like a hole in a plaster wall and fill it with
something like aluminum filled epoxy. Wiggle a backstop into the inside and
hold it with the loop of thread you put in its middle. That keeps enough of
the goop from falling inside for you to get close. Then clip the thread and
fill that small hole.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

oups.com...