Rick

Default microwave linseed oil

William R. Watt wrote:

I've never tried putting a metal container in a microwave ...

Ta da!

but its supposed to be noisy and ruin the microwave oven.

Why is it "supposed" to be noisy and ruin the oven?

What do you suppose your microwave oven is made of?

There is one exception which is a metal container with
a special coating for microwaves.

Did you really spend your own money on that? Think about that one for a
moment. Is the "special coating" conductive? Does it absorb microwaves?
Does it reflect them? Is it made of some miracle material that even
Lockheed and the Air Force don't know about yet?

Rick

Max Camirand

Whenever I've put metal in the microwave (accidentally), it has
produced lots of sparks.

Try putting an AOL CD in an old microwave. Light show!

-m

----
Boatbuilder-friendly small sawmill in Ottawa/Gatineau region.
Backyard Renegade

(William R. Watt) wrote in message ...
Rick ) writes:
William R. Watt wrote:

(caution: It the oil were in a metal container it would have to be put in a
glass or plastic container before going in the microwave.)

Why?

because you can't put metal containers in a microwave oven. they reflect
the microwaves instead of letting them pass through into the stuff inside.
I've never tried putting a metal container in a microwave but its supposed
to be noisy and ruin the microwave oven. There is one exception which is a
metal container with a sepcial coating for microwaves. I have an aluminum
pie plate coated for microwave use which I put under other containers
sometimes to catch drips of condensation.

In the early 80's I worked in the South as a salesman for a company
that sold commercial electronics. We featured a microwave oven by
Texas Instruments that had a pattented thing a ma jig that deflected
microwaves from returning to the point of origin (the "tube"). We
would freak out folks by putting any metal pan full of water in the
microwave without any concequences or the noise and crackles. Of
course it would not heat the water, but you could not blow it up with
a pan. It was a patented device and I have not seen one since.
Warning, this was one commercial microwave speciffically designed not
to be damaged by accidental introduction of metal or other reflective
material into it. DO NOT TRY THIS WITH YOUR TI MICROWAVE! Thanks,
Scotty
Rick

Max Camirand wrote:
Try putting an AOL CD in an old microwave. Light show!

It really is fantastic! I am tempted to put a switch on the light so
that it shows up better! Steel wool is also pretty good.

RicK

Brian Nystrom

Rick wrote:
Max Camirand wrote:

Try putting an AOL CD in an old microwave. Light show!

It really is fantastic! I am tempted to put a switch on the light so
that it shows up better! Steel wool is also pretty good.

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing a
metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

Rick

Brian Nystrom wrote:

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing a
metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

Which is precisely the point I was trying to make in my first post on
the subject.

Rick

Meindert Sprang

"Brian Nystrom" wrote in message
Rick wrote:
Max Camirand wrote:

Try putting an AOL CD in an old microwave. Light show!

It really is fantastic! I am tempted to put a switch on the light so
that it shows up better! Steel wool is also pretty good.

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing a
metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

Except when the length of the spoon is exactly a half wavelength of
2.45GHz....

Meindert

dazed and confuzed

Brian Nystrom wrote:
Rick wrote:

Max Camirand wrote:

Try putting an AOL CD in an old microwave. Light show!

It really is fantastic! I am tempted to put a switch on the light so
that it shows up better! Steel wool is also pretty good.

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing a
metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

it does in my microwave

--
Life is NOT a dress rehearsal.

Brian Nystrom

dazed and confuzed wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing
a metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

it does in my microwave

Does what?

dazed and confuzed

Brian Nystrom wrote:

dazed and confuzed wrote:

Brian Nystrom wrote:

This only occurs with very thin coatings or slivers of metal. Placing
a metal spoon or pan in a microwave will have no effect.

it does in my microwave

Does what?

make sparks. from forks and spoons.

--