Max Camirand

Default how do you bend wood into the boat shape?

On 4 Mar 2004 08:04:23 -0500, Gregg Germain
wrote:

Max Camirand wrote:
: On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 23:30:09 +0100, "Marcel"
: wrote:

:The problem is how do you bend wood on a yet to built boat.
:I am using wood 7mm thick and 50mm wide.

: that wood's not too thick, so it should bend well with a little muscle
: or steaming. I suggest using groups.google.com to search this group's
: archives for 'steam bending'. A gentleman whose name escapes me has an
: excellent webpage FAQ on steam bending, complete with pictures.

: -m

Don't know if I'm that person but here's my web page on
steambending:

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm

Yep, that's you.

-m
Backyard Renegade

"Marcel" wrote in message ...
The problem is how do you bend wood on a yet to built boat.
I am using wood 7mm thick and 50mm wide.

Gregg Germain had these posted with pics, but the link does not work
so I will direct you to one of his posts on steambending he
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...edu%26rnum%3D5
You will find a lot of info here.
I can put up photos of my steamboxes and setup if you need me to let
me know.
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Backyard Renegade

"Marcel" wrote in message ...
The problem is how do you bend wood on a yet to built boat.
I am using wood 7mm thick and 50mm wide.

Sorry, just noticed that Greg is still around and still has a working
website, glitch on my end, Scotty
Glitch = user head malfunction...
Stephen Baker

Scotty says:

Glitch = user head malfunction...

We call that a Brain Fart (tm) around here. As opposed to a "Brain Burp",
which is what you take to cure Writer's Block, or get out of the rut, or just
coz you need a break.

Steve
Brian Nystrom

William R. Watt wrote:

Old dry wood has to soak up moisture before it can be heated to bend.

Not in my experience. I've seen no difference in bending between dry
stock and the same stock that's been soaked in water for days or even
weeks. It's the heat that makes the wood bend-able, not the moisture.
Steaming is simply a way of heating the wood rapidly to the correct
temperature for bending, which - luckily for us - happens to be around
the boiling point of water.

William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:
William R. Watt wrote:

Old dry wood has to soak up moisture before it can be heated to bend.

Not in my experience. I've seen no difference in bending between dry
stock and the same stock that's been soaked in water for days or even
weeks. It's the heat that makes the wood bend-able, not the moisture.
Steaming is simply a way of heating the wood rapidly to the correct
temperature for bending, which - luckily for us - happens to be around
the boiling point of water.

I have no experience. Just quoting what I've read, eg. TF Jones who soaks
old wood before steam bending.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Nystrom

William R. Watt wrote:
Brian Nystrom ) writes:

William R. Watt wrote:

Old dry wood has to soak up moisture before it can be heated to bend.

Not in my experience. I've seen no difference in bending between dry
stock and the same stock that's been soaked in water for days or even
weeks. It's the heat that makes the wood bend-able, not the moisture.
Steaming is simply a way of heating the wood rapidly to the correct
temperature for bending, which - luckily for us - happens to be around
the boiling point of water.

I have no experience. Just quoting what I've read, eg. TF Jones who soaks
old wood before steam bending.

When I've soaked wood, all it did was make is swell so it no longer fit
where it was supposed to, such as in a mortise. Either that, or if it
was trimmed to fit after steaming, it shrank as it dried and became
loose. Soaking didn't seem to make any difference in the bend-ability of
the wood.

Stephen Baker

Brian Nystrom says:

Soaking didn't seem to make any difference in the bend-ability of
the wood.

The old man always used to soak white oak before bending (24 hrs in the
bathtub), whether to see if it had a natural inclination to bend in a
particular direction, to help with bending, or some other reason I am not sure.
He was the builder, and I didn't question it.
He bent a lot of white oak ribs in his day.

Steve
William R. Watt

Brian Nystrom ) writes:

When I've soaked wood, all it did was make is swell so it no longer fit
where it was supposed to, such as in a mortise. Either that, or if it
was trimmed to fit after steaming, it shrank as it dried and became
loose. Soaking didn't seem to make any difference in the bend-ability of
the wood.

softwoods would have more of a tendancy to swell. TF Jones writes that a
nice piece of 15-20 year old oak needs soaking before steam bending.

A 1"x1" piece of clear oak properly steamed can be tied in a knot. Not
something I've ever tried.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old Nick

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 14:58:04 GMT, Brian Nystrom
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I have only done it once, to bend a piece of wood. But I understood
that if you met your sort of trouble, you soaked/steamed, then placed
the wood either in situ, but not installed, or on a former. Getting
the wood close to its final shape is enough. You then at worst need a
bit of force to finish it off.

When I've soaked wood, all it did was make is swell so it no longer fit
where it was supposed to, such as in a mortise. Either that, or if it
was trimmed to fit after steaming, it shrank as it dried and became
loose. Soaking didn't seem to make any difference in the bend-ability of
the wood.

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM
Steam bending basics?? steamer Boat Building 11 August 28th 03 04:29 PM