BoatBanter.com

-   -   Building the Six Hour Canoe (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6683-building-six-hour-canoe.html)

Jacques March 10th 04 02:51 PM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

Old Nick wrote in message

Sorry. I love the "US units" vs "Metric" idea. It _is_ called
"imperial", although I can see certain propblems with that G.

Oh yes there are problems with that. Years ago we called it Imperial
as it should be and we regularly received emails asking if we also had
the plans in US units . . . inches and stuff you know . . .
That free boat plan is a great way to build a first boat in metric.
Use metric once and you'll never go back.

Jacques.
http://bateau.com

William R. Watt March 10th 04 03:21 PM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

Jacques ) writes:

Use metric once and you'll never go back.

the government tried to force metric on the people of Canada but it didn't
stick. The British Empire gave us nice neat whole fractions. The French
Empire gave us confusing non-terminating decimals. :)

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Stephen Baker March 10th 04 04:50 PM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

William Watt says:

The French
Empire gave us confusing non-terminating decimals. :)

Just ignore the decimals, William, and stick to whole millimetres - you'll
still be more accurate than those who work to the nearest 1/16"

;-P

Steve

steveJ March 11th 04 03:39 AM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

Isn't there some kinda rule that says anything having to do with
boatbuilding takes atleast six times longer than anticipated to complete?

notta chance wrote:
For my first project i am going to build the 'six hour canoe' from the book.

Anyone have any experience or know of related websites?

Thanks!

rnf2 March 11th 04 06:19 AM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:55:26 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On 9 Mar 2004 05:47:21 -0800, (Jacques) vaguely proposed
a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Sorry. I love the "US units" vs "Metric" idea. It _is_ called
"imperial", although I can see certain propblems with that G.

[anti-bush rant mode on]

Well with bush around you're well on the way to an empire...
Afganistain, then Iraq, and from his spoutigns it seemed that Syria
had a bit of a close shave... I suppose they just didn't have enough
oil... there was reason to go into Afganistan... and none for Iraq....

[anti-bush rant mode off]

imperial units worked well in the british emipre ya know :)

Meindert Sprang March 11th 04 07:36 AM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

"steveJ" wrote in message
Isn't there some kinda rule that says anything having to do with
boatbuilding takes atleast six times longer than anticipated to complete?

Nope. That's with software development.... :-))

Old Nick March 11th 04 09:15 AM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

On 10 Mar 2004 06:51:55 -0800, (Jacques) vaguely proposed
a theory
.......and in reply I say!:
Old Nick wrote in message

Sorry. I love the "US units" vs "Metric" idea. It _is_ called
"imperial", although I can see certain propblems with that G.

Oh yes there are problems with that. Years ago we called it Imperial
as it should be and we regularly received emails asking if we also had
the plans in US units . . . inches and stuff you know . . .
That free boat plan is a great way to build a first boat in metric.
Use metric once and you'll never go back.

Oh no! _That_ was not the problem I meant. I am sorry about that! G

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Does Bill Gates dream of electronic sheep?

Old Nick March 11th 04 09:16 AM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 03:39:30 GMT, steveJ vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Isn't there some kinda rule that says anything having to do with
boatbuilding takes atleast six times longer than anticipated to complete?

Trouble is with rules like that they immediately become the new
expectaion level.... :-

Andrew Butchart March 11th 04 02:00 PM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

wrote:

imperial units worked well in the british emipre ya know :)

And Roman numerals worked for the Roman empire too

Sorry - couldn't resist ;-)

--
Andrew Butchart

Ron Magen March 11th 04 04:14 PM

Building the Six Hour Canoe

Try living with a research chemist for 30 years !!

Most people {Americans, anyway} *think* in US and convert to Metric - she
*thinks* in Metric and has to convert to US measurements !!

I've learned to let her be ACCURATE and I do the converting when I have to.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop
{PS - don't you wonder where those 'odd-ball' thickness dimensions come
from when you are getting sheet goods at your local yard ?}

SNIP