Curtis CCR

Default Where to get houseboat insurance?

Peggie Hall wrote in message ...
If all you want is liability insurance--which no boat owner should be
without IMO--consider just buying a personal liability umbrella policy
from your homeowners insurance carrier. $2 mil is typically under
$300/year.

Would a bad driving record effect the premium of a umbrella liability
policy?

And (going back to something the OP mentioned), why would an insurance
company require an out of water survey to write a liability only
policy?

The most iiability coverage included in most boat insurance policies
only 300-500k...which is peanuts if you should get sued these days.
Which is why I always carried another $2 mil umbrella...'cuz when you
get sued for anything arising out of your possible liability, it doesn't
matter which "pocket" the money to cover your behind is in, as long as
you have a full pocket somewhere. And with your driving record, I think
you'd better have one.

In a thread I started a few days ago, I passed on that the Coast Guard
is considering a regulation change that will *allow* states to require
proof of liability insurance in order to register your boat. I am
opposed to the change and submitted comments to the CG on it - but I
wholeheartedly agree that liability insurance is important. My
policies provide me with liability on all three of my boats -
including the 7ft Livingston.

Not to mention that my marina REQUIRES that I have liability coverage
with them listed as named insured.

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:57:29 GMT, Peggie Hall wrote:

I have recently bought a 1968 Lazy Days, 43', aluminum hull.

Fwiw...Lazy Days are steel hull boats, not aluminum.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Thank you for telling me about the umbrella Peggie...I've checked
into it with one company, and will do so with some others.
The Lazy Days I just bought is definately an aluminum hull--which
is the reason I bought it--and I believe that they all are. All of the ones
I've seen are anyway...maybe you just got it backwards. What does
fwiw mean?
Steve

wrote in message What does
fwiw mean?

"FWIW" = For What It's Worth!

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

John Wentworth

Sorry, I forgot to post
http://personalinsure.about.com/cs/u...a110503a.htm#b

jay

Try http://www.nboat.com/

NBOA is a large org.
-j

wrote in message
Hi boatin' folks,

I have recently bought a 1968 Lazy Days, 43', aluminum hull. I'm worried
that I won't be able to keep it due to problems getting insurance. I have
2 speeding tickets and 1 running a red light against me in the past year,
and this is my first houseboat so I have no experience. Also no boating
safety courses to help out. All I really want is liability...at least to

start with.
One company said they will give me full coverage for about $460/year,
but I'm afraid they will eventually turn me down because of the traffic
violations, and also the age of the boat. I tried Boat US, and they turned
me down because of my driving record and lack of experience with
houseboats. They did get me a quote from another company--$1100/yr
for just liability, and that required an out of water survey done on the
boat which would be another $1K or more most likely. Can anyone
suggest a company that might help me out and be affordable? Would
a boating safety course or more help me out, and if so which ones and
how to take them? This is all new to me, and I'm in a world of confusion.

Thanks for any help!!!
David

Peggie Hall

The Lazy Days I just bought is definately an aluminum hull--which
is the reason I bought it--and I believe that they all are. All of the ones
I've seen are anyway...maybe you just got it backwards.

Lazy Days were built in Buford GA, next to Lake Lanier where I kept my
boats for 20 years. Lanier was littered with 'em! And I knew the owner,
Jack Beacham. I won't argue that the first boats they built in the '60s
may have been aluminum, but by the time I moved to that area in the
mid-late '70s, they built only steel hulls. He had great people for
him...his plant manager--who did a lot of work on the side for me--was
the best plumber and finish cabinet worker on the lake...another one of
his employees is the best carpet layer I've ever known...he made more
moonlighting recarpeting houseboats and cruisers (including 2 of mine)
than he made during the day at Lazy Days.

Jack had a highly creative method of establishing a high resale value
for used Lazy's in the '60s and '70s...he watched the ads etc like a
hawk, and when one came on the market for less than he thought it should
be worth, he immediately bought it and put it back on the market at his
idea of the right price. It only took a few years to set the "book"
values for 'em and he was able to stop doing that. Like a lot of boat
builders, Lazy Days died an ignominious death in mid '90s. Jack finally
decided to retire and sold the company--but not the property--to someone
who drove it into the ground...he disappeared one Friday after cleaning
out the bank account...employees found out when their paychecks bounced.
Jack came out of retirement to take over again, but by then he had a
lot of competition from aluminum houseboats that cost a lot less to
build, so they had a lot more "glitz and glamour" stuff on 'em for the
same price or less than a new Lazy Days. He finally closed the plant in
the late '90s. Jack isn't suffering, though...the boatworks property
just keeps gettin' more valuable...he was the original owner of Holiday
Marina...he and his son Doug own Lazy Days Marina...they're doin' ok.

So I do know just a LITTLE bit about Lazy Days.

Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/html/get_ri...oat_odors.html

Wolverine

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 01:24:40 GMT, wrote:

[...]

Lets get real here. Speeding tickets and possible no credit history??
Am I correct? Most likely you are not going to get good rates, even if
accepted. Have you taken a Safe Boating Course??? Have experience in a
43 ft boat???.. I know progressive would be a extreme rate on you with
such a record.
Lets see ... 2 tickets speeding msat likely 2 points agains license
each. Red light? lets say anoter 2.. so total of 6??? And it takes 12
to get license taken?? And 8 for retesting??
Naw cant see you getting "low rates"
And you stated the key point !!!
""I have no experience"