posted to rec.boats.building

Default Berths: minimum clearance mattress to ceiling?

I've got an idea for a houseboat to maximize space, by putting in an
overhead berth. I want standing headroom under the berth and am
wondering if I've got enough room to do it. This isn't a commercial
houseboat, but it's a conversion from generator barge that I built and
may not be able to sell at a decent price. So, what do y'all think is
the mininum space needed (no wisecracks either)?

Ed.

My Generator Barge Website:
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/edaskew/genbarge.html

posted to rec.boats.building
xSoldier

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got an idea for a houseboat to maximize space, by putting in an
overhead berth. I want standing headroom under the berth and am
wondering if I've got enough room to do it. This isn't a commercial
houseboat, but it's a conversion from generator barge that I built and
may not be able to sell at a decent price. So, what do y'all think is
the mininum space needed (no wisecracks either)?

They put 'three high' in a compartment on the Aircraft Carriers. It's about
28" (mattress to overhead) in each one if I recall.

posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

xSoldier wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

I've got an idea for a houseboat to maximize space, by putting in an
overhead berth. I want standing headroom under the berth and am
wondering if I've got enough room to do it. This isn't a commercial
houseboat, but it's a conversion from generator barge that I built and
may not be able to sell at a decent price. So, what do y'all think is
the mininum space needed (no wisecracks either)?

They put 'three high' in a compartment on the Aircraft Carriers. It's about
28" (mattress to overhead) in each one if I recall.

If you want to sit up in bed, 36" mininum

Evan Gatehouse
posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

How about folding pipe berths? You make the frame out of galvanized water
pipe and stretch canvas in the center by use of line and grommets. Hinge one
side to a bulkhead and support the other by chain from the overhead. A 2
inch foam mattress and you're set.
This way you can have all the head room you want.
"No wisecracks"? you're spoiling all the fun.
MMC
wrote in message
oups.com...
I've got an idea for a houseboat to maximize space, by putting in an
overhead berth. I want standing headroom under the berth and am
wondering if I've got enough room to do it. This isn't a commercial
houseboat, but it's a conversion from generator barge that I built and
may not be able to sell at a decent price. So, what do y'all think is
the mininum space needed (no wisecracks either)?

Ed.

My Generator Barge Website:
http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/edaskew/genbarge.html

posted to rec.boats.building
Peggie Hall

MMC wrote:

How about folding pipe berths? You make the frame out of galvanized water
pipe and stretch canvas in the center by use of line and grommets. Hinge one
side to a bulkhead and support the other by chain from the overhead. A 2
inch foam mattress and you're set.

Another solution that's often used on houseboats and cruisers: a settee
that converts to two bunks. The seat is one bunk...the top of back is
hinged so it can be raised and supported by two straps or chains
attached to hooks in the overhead to become the upper berth...the seat
and back cushions become the mattresses. How much headroom the upper and
lower berths have depends on the height of the back of the settee.

It's a handy way to do it in a small space...with a high/low table, the
settee can double as a sofa and "coffee table" AND a dinette during the
day, two berths at night.
--
Peggie
----------

posted to rec.boats.building
MMC

Good idea Peggy. I got the idea that the builder didn't foresee much walking
around room, but it does make sense that the crew will need someplace to sit
down!
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
. ..

MMC wrote:

[...]

Sam

Are you sure you want to sleep in an enclosed building with a diesel
generator? Noise, carbon monoxide? Sam

posted to rec.boats.building

Thanks folks, those are all good ideas, especially yours, Peggy. BTW, I
just happened to have bought your book earlier today! Sam, I plan to
remove the generator. That will be my backup at home. Haven't quite
figured how I'll manage it but some how I will. Next time one of
Katrina's ugly sisters comes calling I'll be ready.

Ed.