posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Newell

Default Next Question......

Define "Protected Waters".

So many boats/Plans that I see say "For Protected Waters".

Does this mean extremely calm?......Does a lake qualify by virtue of it's
being a lake?....Lake Erie is a lake, and look how it eats boats.....

Here, around Houston, Texas, I have been to Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston,
Lake Somerville, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake...and so on......all of these have
been smooth as glass at times, and borderline scary at times.

Is "Protected Waters" a non-ocean body of water, with the added caveat of
"use your common sense regarding wave height?"

posted to rec.boats.building
xSoldier

"Jim Newell" wrote in message
Define "Protected Waters".

So many boats/Plans that I see say "For Protected Waters".

Does this mean extremely calm?......Does a lake qualify by virtue of it's
being a lake?....Lake Erie is a lake, and look how it eats boats.....

Here, around Houston, Texas, I have been to Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston,
Lake Somerville, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake...and so on......all of these

have
been smooth as glass at times, and borderline scary at times.

Is "Protected Waters" a non-ocean body of water, with the added caveat of
"use your common sense regarding wave height?"

While boating in "Protected Waters" one usually enjoys calm seas. To me,
it's more of the 'sea condition' rather than the 'type' or 'body' of water.

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Could "protected waters" be those where you can run to shelter quickly?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"xSoldier" wrote in message

"Jim Newell" wrote in message
Define "Protected Waters".

So many boats/Plans that I see say "For Protected Waters".

Does this mean extremely calm?......Does a lake qualify by virtue of it's
being a lake?....Lake Erie is a lake, and look how it eats boats.....

Here, around Houston, Texas, I have been to Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston,
Lake Somerville, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake...and so on......all of these

have
been smooth as glass at times, and borderline scary at times.

Is "Protected Waters" a non-ocean body of water, with the added caveat of
"use your common sense regarding wave height?"

While boating in "Protected Waters" one usually enjoys calm seas. To me,
it's more of the 'sea condition' rather than the 'type' or 'body' of
water.

posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Nystrom

xSoldier wrote:
"Jim Newell" wrote in message

Define "Protected Waters".

So many boats/Plans that I see say "For Protected Waters".

Does this mean extremely calm?......Does a lake qualify by virtue of it's
being a lake?....Lake Erie is a lake, and look how it eats boats.....

Here, around Houston, Texas, I have been to Lake Conroe, Lake Livingston,
Lake Somerville, Lake Travis, Canyon Lake...and so on......all of these
have been smooth as glass at times, and borderline scary at times.

Is "Protected Waters" a non-ocean body of water, with the added caveat of
"use your common sense regarding wave height?"

While boating in "Protected Waters" one usually enjoys calm seas. To me,
it's more of the 'sea condition' rather than the 'type' or 'body' of water.

I'd say you're exactly correct.

"derbyrm" wrote in message
Could "protected waters" be those where you can run to shelter quickly?

Most definitely.
Here in the Pacific Northwest, we usually get a couple news reports each
season about some guy who went out to check his crab pots and got caught in
a blow. It's usually a 8 to 10 footer, no lifejackets and the weather is
blowing to where I wouldn't even consider launching my 21 footer!

Don't become a statistic- always wear your PFD (and make the others wear
theirs).

posted to rec.boats.building
William R. Watt

It's fair weather plus no white water (surf, rapids, etc.)
They are mostly boats with low power and freeboard which can swamp easily.
Think of staying in a harbour which is sheltered.