posted to rec.boats.building
keysgirl

Default Sail /Bimini Sewing

Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
Kevin Brooker

WHat are your requirements and restraints? Knowing this might help
make suggestions.

On 8 Jan 2006 07:17:52 -0800, "keysgirl"
wrote:

Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
xSoldier

"keysgirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

For single needle requirements I'd locate a used Consew (reversable with
walking foot). I'd think you should be able to find one for around $600 or
$700 with a nice table.

posted to rec.boats.building
Keith Hughes

If you're looking for a machine for light use (i.e. not planning on
going commercial), you might consider the machine in the link below.
We have one and have used it for some sail repair, and lots of sunbrella
covers. Works very well, especially at the price.

http://www.reliablecorporation.com/p...ls/2000u%5F33/

Keith Hughes

xSoldier wrote:

"keysgirl" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

For single needle requirements I'd locate a used Consew (reversable with
walking foot). I'd think you should be able to find one for around $600 or
$700 with a nice table.

posted to rec.boats.building
Skip Gundlach

Check out this thread in SSCA:
http://www.ssca.org/sscabb/index.php...m=4&topic=2128

L8R

Skip, who owns one of those expensive jobs and is thoroughly impressed

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
"keysgirl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
Don Dando

Older Juki and Singer machines can be bought for $200-$500 sometimes even
less, these are referred to as Industrial Machines used for upholstery an
leather sewing. These are machines from the 30's but most are as good as
new, they are from the era when things were built to last. Missouri Sewing
Machine Company in Kansas City has some on hand.

They can also be found on ebay. A complete machine includes the machine
itself, a heavy duty table and a constant running motor with a clutch
attached to the treadle. The machine is designed to either be in motion or
not. Slipping the clutch to slow down the machine is not very practical. A
DC Servo motor has recently been introduced that allows variable speed
These motors are excellent for beginners but cost about $350. These
machines generally do not have reverse, but later models do.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Don Dando

wrote:

Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

posted to rec.boats.building

Where are you located, I have an industrial singer with table and motor
that I used for my sail needs but no longer need, and want to sell. I'm
located in NJ
If you like you can email me at

Jake in NJ

keysgirl wrote:

Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

posted to rec.boats.building
Courtney Thomas

Default Sail /Bimini Sewing - stay away from the Ebay sellers of phony"green" zig-zag walking foot mahcines

keysgirl wrote:
Ok, after $600 in sail repairs I have decided to buy my own machine. I
have looked at the Sailrite machine, very expensive $800 plus plus.
Does anyone have any other recommendations?
thanks

Stay away from those new walking foot, zig-zag, 'green' machines on Ebay
for a couple of hundred dollars, whose sellers claim them 'heavy duty'.

We got one and was fortunate enough to be bailed out by a local who knew
his stuff and converted it to a usable alternative, at a considerable cost.

The Ebay seller was rude, a liar, fraudulent and predatory to the extent
of even refusing to provide a phone and address.

The machines have no decent motor, no proper sewing 'stage' which
requires a sturdy replacement, no service/parts help and not even an
identification of the manufacturer.

After our experience I'd say got to www.sailrite.com and enjoy helpful,
pleasant and competent people.

HTH,