posted to rec.boats.building
chayco

Default Origami steel boat building

Has anyone here had experience with Brent Swain's origami steel boat
building method ?
I had his book handed to me the other day. It's quite an incredible approach
to steel boat building.
I understand there are limitations to design but cheap, easy and very quick
to build.
There are some interesting threads in other groups concerning his methods
and opinions.
Google origami steel boat building and see what comes up.

I'm tempted, but need to know far more.

...Ken

posted to rec.boats.building
Glenn Ashmore

I sold a couple of anchors to a company in Florida a few years ago that was
starting to build a line of folded plate aluminum cats. I think they ran
into some production problems as the boats were pretty good looking and well
priced but I don't think they got more than 2 or 3 off. The thing you have
to remember is that after you pass 25' or so LOA the basic hull is a
relatively small part of the total labor and cost. While the folded plate
or "Origami" method can produce a strong and fairly inexpensive hull it puts
some serious limits on the design and can be MUCH harder to fit out.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
I sold a couple of anchors to a company in Florida a few years ago that

was
starting to build a line of folded plate aluminum cats. I think they ran
into some production problems as the boats were pretty good looking and

well
priced but I don't think they got more than 2 or 3 off. The thing you

have
to remember is that after you pass 25' or so LOA the basic hull is a
relatively small part of the total labor and cost. While the folded plate
or "Origami" method can produce a strong and fairly inexpensive hull it

puts
some serious limits on the design and can be MUCH harder to fit out.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ahhh, quite the project Glenn. For a lot of us of similar age....we ask
ourselves if we have enough left in us to take on a serious poject ?
You obviously did.

Origami steel :
One aspect of the folded plate that I do like , aparently, there is little
or no fairing required.

....Ken

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Ashmore View Post

"chayco" wrote in message
Has anyone here had experience with Brent Swain's origami steel boat
building method ?
I had his book handed to me the other day. It's quite an incredible
approach
to steel boat building.
I understand there are limitations to design but cheap, easy and very
quick
to build.
There are some interesting threads in other groups concerning his methods
and opinions.
Google origami steel boat building and see what comes up.

I'm tempted, but need to know far more.

...Ken

I've built 35 of them. Reducing the building time of the hull by 80% is a huge reduction in the overall build time. When your metal work is done, you have all the handrails, lifelines ,cleats , mooring bits, engine mounts, thru hulls, bow roller, mast, tankage, self steering,inside steering, anchor winch, hatches, blocks, exhaust etc etc, all stuff you have to go out and buy when you have the hull made of other materials.Thus they are "MUCH EASIER" to fit out
However, whatever material you are building a boat out of , you'd be way ahead if you buy metal working tools, learn to use them, and build your own fittings. Build a couple of anchors and you are money ahead.

Last edited by Brent Swain : September 14th 11 at 10:57 PM