posted to rec.boats.building
chayco

Default Origami steel boat building

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
news:%I%vf.4012$Dh.430@dukeread04...
I sold a couple of anchors to a company in Florida a few years ago that

was
starting to build a line of folded plate aluminum cats. I think they ran
into some production problems as the boats were pretty good looking and

well
priced but I don't think they got more than 2 or 3 off. The thing you

have
to remember is that after you pass 25' or so LOA the basic hull is a
relatively small part of the total labor and cost. While the folded plate
or "Origami" method can produce a strong and fairly inexpensive hull it

puts
some serious limits on the design and can be MUCH harder to fit out.
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Ahhh, quite the project Glenn. For a lot of us of similar age....we ask
ourselves if we have enough left in us to take on a serious poject ?
You obviously did.

Origami steel :
One aspect of the folded plate that I do like , aparently, there is little
or no fairing required.

....Ken