Rosalie B.

Default 24 VDC appliances?

x-no-archive:yes

Larry Weiss wrote:

Rod McInnis wrote:

the old Volkswagon Beetles used a heat exchanger off the exhaust manifolds
to heat the car! It was actually pretty nice on cold mornings, as the
heater worked almost instantly after starting the car.

Woah! I had one of those Beetles way back then. It leaked CO so bad it nearly
killed me. I would worry about any heating system that utilizes a heat
exchanger off the exhaust manifolds.

Well you do need to maintain your exhaust system of course. We had
one of those heat exchangers (still do) in one of the 1932 Plymouths.
There was just a hole in the firewall for the duct, so the passenger
got pretty hot, and the driver stayed cold. I used to deflect the
heat with a clipboard (this was in 1964, and not in 1932 BTW)

grandma Rosalie
Larry Demers

Not to mention that the damn things rusted thru quickly, leaking exhaust
into the car.

del cecchi wrote:

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Larry W4CSC" wrote in message

I've never figured out why boats in cold climates waste all this
energy going out the exhaust. It's SO easy to make a cast iron heat
exchanger in a dry stack, right next to...or even right IN the

exhaust
manifold that will just roast your ears with free heat.

the old Volkswagon Beetles used a heat exchanger off the exhaust

manifolds
to heat the car! It was actually pretty nice on cold mornings, as the
heater worked almost instantly after starting the car.

Are you insane? Suffering from Amnesia? We had one of those Beetles in
Minnesota from 1973 until 1985. My wife used to wonder why the other
people in the grocery store weren't wearing snowmobile suits. We
learned to drive one handed so we could scrape the inside of the
windshield with the other. Do you realize how long it takes to heat a
piece of cast iron and the sheet metal floorpan duct when it starts out
at zero, and the heat is coming from 750cc of motor (there were two, so
each only got half the exhaust)

Sheeesh.

del cecchi