posted to rec.boats.building
Thomas Wentworth

Default New Question ... Put on Your Boatyard Hats

I was looking at an old boat that had a plywood cabin. The owner/builder
had covered the plywood with fiberglass cloth. Long time ago. He said that
a surveyor who looked at the boat for insurance needs said that their was
too much water density in the plywood. The surveyor used some type of
device to test this. The surveyor recommended that the cabin roof be
replaced.

Question:: While I don't doubt that water got down under the fiberglass
cloth, I thought that if the fiberglass cloth was torn off and the plywood
was exposed then wouldn't it just dry up and then he [ friend ] could apply
epoxy and then new cloth but make sure that the epoxy has saturated the ply
surface and that way the ply could not get wet.

So, what about this problem.

posted to rec.boats.building
John Smith

"Thomas Wentworth" wrote in message
I was looking at an old boat that had a plywood cabin. The owner/builder
had covered the plywood with fiberglass cloth. Long time ago. He said

that
a surveyor who looked at the boat for insurance needs said that their was
too much water density in the plywood. The surveyor used some type of
device to test this. The surveyor recommended that the cabin roof be
replaced.

Question:: While I don't doubt that water got down under the fiberglass
cloth, I thought that if the fiberglass cloth was torn off and the plywood
was exposed then wouldn't it just dry up and then he [ friend ] could

apply
epoxy and then new cloth but make sure that the epoxy has saturated the

ply
surface and that way the ply could not get wet.

So, what about this problem.

I bought an old wooden boat, the previous owner had fitted a deck house

and sheathed in in fibreglass. so far so good. unfortunately he had cut
corners with the windows. they did not seal properly and the water got
behind the glass mat. in spite of a survey which pointed out some of the
more obvious faults, this was not specifically pointed out. it grew some
really magnificent mushrooms before I abandoned any hope of repairing it and
ripped the whole deckhouse off and built a new one. at the time it looked
good but like a few others before me I had parted with my money before I
realised the true extent of the problem
regards
Peter

posted to rec.boats.building
Jim Conlin

Thomas, you're trolling us.
Please either buy some books and read them or go pester rec.golf.

[...]

Dear Jim,,,,, go ............ yourself.

If you don't want to answer a question, that is your business.

If you pick a fight with me,,, I will make you my business.

============

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

Thomas:
You ask a question, people offer answers. This place is a great
resource for answers from people who have "Been there and done that."

Your questions do not follow a logical path. You are all over the
place. It is though you don't own a boat, never owned a boat, and have
no actual boat you are asking questions about.

There is nothing actually wrong with this, it's called learning.

But you are starting to come across as a troll. Look it up.

Trolls get kill filtered by those who are your best scorch of real
information.

You don't want that, if you actually are asking a real question.

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message

[...]

Trolls get kill filtered by those who are your best sourse of real
information.

Damn spell check!

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message

[...]

Skip Gundlach

"Jim" wrote in message
ink.net...
Trolls get kill filtered by those who are your best sourse of real
information.

Damn spell check!

Heh. Didn't improve on the second try :{))

L8R

Skip, in rehab and PT and moving closer to stepping aboard

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

posted to rec.boats.building
Jasper Windvane

Jim,,, I find Wentworth's numerous questions refreshing. Why don't you just
answer him.

He may have a lot on his mind, or he seems to be catching up but at least
his questions are relevant to the building/repairing of boats.

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
[...]

"Jim Conlin" wrote in message
[...]

Tom,
Once the wood is damaged it is damaged, drying it out and appling
epoxy even if its penetrating epoxy will not cure the rotten wood
problem. I had the same situation on the Buddy Harris custom carolina
sportfisherman I am restoring, I tried the penetrating epoxy solution,
it repaired the soft wood on the surface but the inner veneers were
still soft. When water migrates into plywood and resides there for a
while I feel it is best to bite the bullet and replace it and reglass.
IMHO the key to the glass job lasting is a very good prime coat (high
build epoxy) , then several coats of a good linear polyurthane finish
coat.If you are glassing with epoxy the epoxy HAS to be protected from
UV .

Next question ;;;;;; is that your final answer ?? Thomas Wentworth Boat Building 6 December 23rd 05 09:10 PM
boat trailer question, pics of trailer, opinions? Bill McKee General 0 December 12th 05 03:27 AM
Battery Question Marc Electronics 4 November 20th 05 03:02 AM
Mercruiser outdrive question John Chaplain General 3 October 23rd 05 05:50 PM
Newbie Question: 40' Performance Cruiser question (including powerplant) charliekilo Cruising 19 October 19th 05 02:30 PM