Houston

Default Considering putting in tile.

I was wanting to replace the carpet in my Express Cruiser with some tile. It
has a fiberglass flooring under the carpet that the carpet is glued to. It
can easily be pulled up. I was wanting to go to Home Depot and get some tile
and tile that area. I would be surprised to find that I could use just the
standard materials for laying tile that you would use in a home. Is there
some type of special preparation I need to do to the surface and a certain
type of glue, or can I just use what one would normally use to tile there
home?

Thanks

Houston

RG

Do you mean vinyl tile, or ceramic tile???
I'd imagine vinyl tile intended for bathroom applications have appropriate
glue available at Home Depot etc. RichG

Dan

If it's ceramic tile you are going with then first you need to see if
there
is any play in the floor. Jump up and down on the floor, if there is an
excessive
amount of movement then don't bother tileing, the grout will crack every
few
months then eventually the tile will lift, if there is very little movement
you're ok to tile. Use a ¼ inch trowel if there is very little or no
movement.

Make sure you use Latex Modified Thinset to glue it down with. It has got to
be Latex Modified and for use on floors only or it will not adhere to the
surface .
Prep the floor by removing all glue and debris. If the floor has a sheen or
flossy
surface then dull with belt sander, now you are ready to tile.

"Houston" wrote in message
m...
I was wanting to replace the carpet in my Express Cruiser with some tile.

It
has a fiberglass flooring under the carpet that the carpet is glued to. It
can easily be pulled up. I was wanting to go to Home Depot and get some

tile
and tile that area. I would be surprised to find that I could use just the
standard materials for laying tile that you would use in a home. Is there
some type of special preparation I need to do to the surface and a certain
type of glue, or can I just use what one would normally use to tile there
home?

Thanks

Houston

Dan

If you've got the money.... Instead of thinset or mastik use the dreded
"3M's 5200" in a thick layer. Tiles will "float" on a bed of 5200, thus
not crack. 5200's nice white color ( or use the new colored one's with a
color of your desire ) will look like grout in between. Beware, it
won't come up for love or money in at least 6-10 years, so don't cover
anything you need to get at soon.

Just my 2 cents, Dan.

"Dan" wrote in message

[...]

"Houston" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

Rufus

For floors, "excessive" movement = ANY, in this case. Although I'm not a
tile professional, I've laid tile in two bathrooms (recently) - one
worked and one cracked (as kinda expected... g). Any movement in the
floor at all will crack the seams. IIRC from my study two years ago, the
construction spec is 1/8" flex in 8 FEET. (Glen Ashmore can probably
produce the spec off the top... G). Also, ceramic tile is heavy. In a
boat, the only place it might make sense would be (a small section)
under a solid fuel heater. In larger areas, you would need to figure out
how to retain access to the bilge.

Coutertops are much less critical because they don't bear weight.
Remember, grout lines are NOT waterproof. The underlayment is supposed
to be secured on top of a waterproof membrane when laying tile in wet
areas. Whether _your_ countertop qualifies as wet...?

Remember also that tile is very hard - elbows and cookware suffer on
contact. g

Rufus