Gregg Germain

Default are Hereshoff plans in the public domain ?

Courtney Thomas wrote:
: Gregg,

: Are there no steel reproductions/simulations/etc. of Herreshoff
designs ?

Hi Courteny,

I didn't say that there weren't any. I said you have to sign an
agreement saying you would NOT build a Herreshoff design with any
method or materials other than the types originally used. I don't
know if anyone has flaunted their promise not to do it.

: Would those in charge of the archived plans obstruct an attempt to do
: such a thing ?

That's the implication. I don't know what they could or would do.

: Appreciatively,

: Courtney

: Gregg Germain wrote:

: Eide wrote:
: :
: : Moulds on every frame,
: : tapered frames,
:
: Yeah...tapered frames. All very well - removes weight at the sheer
: etc. Helps performance.
:
: But I'm here to tell you it's an infernal nuisance when you are
: rebuilding (possibly easier when building from scratch).
:
: first just getting the frames out of the flitches is much more time
: consuming. They start 1" x 1" at the sheer and increase 1/16",
: moulded and sided, for every foot of length.
:
: So each rib is a different length therefore different dimensions
: moulded and sided. So you cannot steam up a bunch of them and if one
: breaks toss it over the side and grabe the next one out of the box.
: Each is cut to size and fits only in that one location.
:
: Still, I'm adhering to the tapers.
:
:
: --- Gregg
:
: My woodworking projects:
:
:
: Replicas of 15th-19th century nautical navigational instruments:
:
: http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html
:
: Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:
:
: http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm
:
: Steambending FAQ with photos: