Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Sal's Dad

Default Icebreaking skiff?

Any thoughts/experience with a hull shape or material for getting through
small-scale ice? We have about a mile to travel; occasionally a skim of
ice forms overnight (OK, today it was more than a skim).

We've always used a 14x4' flatbottomed skiff, of ply/epoxy, lots of glass
built up on the chines. The bow lifts up onto the ice, and breaks through
at the chines. The motor then cuts a third channel down the middle. This
works, but backing up can be tough, and slight variations in thickness can
cause control problems.

Also, props - small motor props (OMC, Tohatsu 8's) do OK with the ice, but
the Yamaha 25's prop got chewed to bits yesterday. Any experience with
Pirhanha's in the ice?

Carolina Skiff owners group RG General 0 December 17th 03 12:47 PM
16ft Carolina Skiff or Scout or Key West or ? fred General 7 November 26th 03 11:50 PM
Small Skiff Bert & Eileen Plank Boat Building 0 November 22nd 03 08:10 PM
simmons sea skiff Marvin Murphy Boat Building 0 August 6th 03 04:52 PM
New small skiff Bill Kiene General 15 August 1st 03 12:54 AM