Zyana ~ Beu Ribe

Default Anyone want an apprentice for free?

Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Rufus

Don't know Tampa, but the Carolina coasts used to build a lot of boats.
I think there are still a few builders along there, and of course
Florida certainly has some builders.

You didn't mention what experience you may have, so I'll give the
standard lecture - apologies if you already know it all. g

It wouldn't hurt to have some idea of the type of boat you're interested
in building. There are various methods of construction and learning and
knowing the one that fits your plans might be helpful - or not. Any good
working experience is all to the good, but specific methods, the tools
and materials used, the calculations you make, etc can differ
considerably when it comes down to actually making it happen. They also
differ in the planned life span of the boat, the looks of the boat, the
cost, etc.

If you plan to get into this part time, it will be harder to make it
hang together. The problem is making your schedule mate with the teacher's.

You could start by taking general woodworking and cabinetry courses at
local junior colleges or whatever. That would be a good idea anyway - if
you're going to cut your finger off, we'd all rather you did it on
somebody else's liability insurance. Nothing personal, but it's a real
problem. You could also try working in boatyards repairing boats. Even
if you don't do the kind of work which you're interested in, you'll
probably be close to it and if you get along with people you can stick
around and ask questions sometimes.

If you have the time and interest to do it full time, it gets both
easier and harder. Easier because you go get a job building boats and it
pays _you_. Harder because you'll have to actually work (!) which is
always a bummer, and it'll probably take a couple years before you get
the type of experiences you think you need. However, if you find a small
shop which produces good work, you'll end up knowing a LOT more about
everything - you'll be able to come back and tell _us_ how to do it.

You may need to expand your search area somewhat. For best results, OJT
(on job training) requires you be quite choosy about your employer. Talk
to lots of people in boat yards and bars and go check out as many shops
as you can in, say, 200-300 miles around your present location. Take a
few vacations up the Atlantic coast and see what's what up there (after
you've done the local stuff - you'll have got to know what questions to
ask and formed some opinions). I suspect the best place won't be easiest
one - just seems to work that way. People who really know how to do
things (which is who you want to be close to) often don't do the smily
smily dance much - they just work and put you to work. If you get a job,
do the job stuff real well, then find ways to ask questions and do more
- maybe after hours. That way you'll learn faster.

But try to get some good skills with tools first. You may find out you
simply can't deal with power tools, or that you're desperately allergic
to wood dust... Kinda easier to figure that out ahead of time. It
doesn't require water, it just requires wood, GRP, metal and hours and
hours of making things; and it's close to home. Besides the schools,
there will be cabinet makers, surfboard makers, carpenters, upholsterers
(you'll need cushions, too), ya-di-ya, on and on. It takes time to get
your hands to do the right stuff, but it will serve you well even if you
don't build that particular boat.

Good luck. Rufus

Zyana ~ Beu Ribe wrote:

Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Steve

Where were you all the 7 years I was building my Ingrid 38..

BTW.. That is how I got into boating and boat building.. I met an old guy,
former boat builder(well he was actually in his 50s) who was building his
retirement boat.

Learned a lot and wish I had a chance to pass it on to my own apprentice.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Backyard Renegade

"Zyana ~ Beu Ribe" wrote in message hlink.net...
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Well, seems you have not had a lot of response here. Most folks who
build their own boats, build on a weird schedual. This is the primary
reason I have never taken on folks who make offers such as yours.
However, we can all help. Here is what you do... I know, no books, but
it is easier than you think. Go to instantboats.com and buy the book
"build the new instant boats" for $20. Read it three times (124 pages)
and if you have any questions, give us a shout. You should not have
many though, the plans and layout of this manual are specifically
designed for folks who don't know how to build boats and make it
possible for them have a successful first build. Pick one of the small
boats in the book and start building a boat for less than $200. If you
have any questions at all, call the author, or ask here in this group.
You must first understand that with the Epoxy technology (calibrated,
almost foolproof pumps), and the other materials available today,
anyone who has ever used a hammer or handsaw can build a decent boat.
I should mention that Dynamite Payson (instantboats.com) is a freind
and a client. There are also other places that "specialize" in getting
first time builders into the right boat and plan set, that grumpy old
Jaques guy over at bateau.com can also be a good place to start for
first time builders. I will mention here while I am putting out kudos
that I also sell a very limited line of boat plans, but they are not
for beginners, catch you next time around.
Anyway, this is just a suggestion in case you get no other offers,
Scotty from SmallBoats.com
Jacques Mertens

The guy that is building prototypes for us is moving 500 miles away and we
will need some help.
We don't expect anybody to work for free, we pay a salary,
There are problems however:
- we are on the East coast of Florida (Vero Beach)
- while we use plywood in most of our boats, we are not wooden boat
builders. The accent in our place is on composites.

Besides that, it is a great position for somebody who wants to learn because
we experiment a lot. Last month we tested a new kit assembly system on a 12'
boat, last week and this week we test paint methods and equipment. In
January we will test a new method to build carbon fiber masts. Later we will
build a simple vaccum bagging table and build a 25' CoreCell hull to take
pictures used in our online tutorials.
All very interesting but not true wooden boat building.

--
Jacques
http://www.bateau.com

"Zyana ~ Beu Ribe" wrote in message
link.net...
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Tailgunner

Jacques Mertens wrote:

[...]

Jacques,
Nice offer. Hope somebody takes it.

Can you email me? I have a question regarding some of your boat plans.

Nick

Zyana ~ Beu Ribe

Hi All,

Gee, I don't know if I'm going to get an offer here, but let me provide some
more info...

I grew up in a family of wood-workers and all-around handy people, so I'm
not alien to building something with my own to hands. Hammers, several
types of saws (including a table saw for making raised panel doors that fit
together with slots,) laying concrete, painting... It's an extensive list
with a mother as a woodcarver, and a father who grew up on a farm in the
1920's, when you had to be self-sufficient and know how to fix/build about
anything. (I followed him closely when he built his barn from casting the
foundation up.)

So tools are so stranger to me.

"Jacques Mertens" wrote in message
.. .

We don't expect anybody to work for free, we pay a salary,

Actually, I want to work for free. If you want to chip in 50 bucks or so,
fine. I could use it. Why? I'm not doing anything right now, probably
won't for quite awhile, so have nothing but free time on my hand. Why is
that? I'm coming back from being incredibly weak, and doctor's orders are
that I get busy. I've built up a little bit already with exercising, so I
think I'm up to something part-time, or going to someone's place on the
weekends to help them build their boat if they'll accept me.

The kind of boat I want to eventually build? A proa, a Polynesian boat.
I'm not looking to build boats that are fancy and up to edge of comfort with
huge cabins and seats and steering wheel... Of course, this also means I'll
need to learn to sail when I can't paddle fast enough for the current.
(Sailing I do admit to knowing nothing about.)

There are problems however:
- we are on the East coast of Florida (Vero Beach)

That's a problem. I've got to stay in the Tampa Bay area.

- while we use plywood in most of our boats, we are not wooden boat
builders. The accent in our place is on composites.

I figure that I'm going to have to cover the hull of my proa with
fiberglass, though I'd like to know how to put all the wood together.

Besides that, it is a great position for somebody who wants to learn

because
we experiment a lot.

Great! One thing that drives me nuts is staying stuck in a rut.

Last month we tested a new kit assembly system on a 12'
boat, last week and this week we test paint methods and equipment. In
January we will test a new method to build carbon fiber masts. Later we

will
build a simple vaccum bagging table and build a 25' CoreCell hull to take
pictures used in our online tutorials.
All very interesting but not true wooden boat building.

As long as it *involves* building a wooden boat. One thing that was
dissapointing to me was to find that a lot of modern pleasure boats have a
hull that is simply cast in a mold, then worked on from there. Where's the
satisfaction in that? I might as well carve out a mold if that's the way
it's going to be, and train a monkey to lay/spray the compound in there,
after which I have my hull. No offense to anyone, please.

stevej

Why don't ya just try to build a boat without any training?
There are so many ways to build a boat that you'll never learn them all.
I believe everyone who contributes to this NG is always learning and
for the most part it is done through talking, reading, observing and
trying things out. Some are engineers and nautical architects and some
are artists. A few are boatbuilders.
Just build a small boat first. A very small boat. Use your INSTINCTS,
and don't be afraid to make a lot of mistakes. Each mistake is a
learning opportunity. Don't worry about it not being done correctly.
There is not one correct way to build a wooden boat. Every culture
has its own unique history of wooden boat building and this is one of
the things that makes it so interesting.
If you lack the confidence to start from scratch, buy a kit, like a
stitch and glue kayak, and put it together. In the process you will
learn a lot about plywood, epoxy, paint, and how to follow written
instructions.
You wrote about the "principles" of building a wooden boat and that you
were unable to get this out of books. What books have you read?
There are some really bad boat building books out there and some really
good ones.
Have you read Chapelle's BoatBuilding? Thomas Hill's Ultralight
Boatbuilding? The Gougeon Brothers On Boat Construction? Skenes Elements
of Yacht Design? George Buehlers Backyard BoatBuilding? Slocum's Sailing
Alone Around the World? Have you read back issues of WoodenBoat
magazine? The list goes on. All are required reading.
Visualize what you want to build. Draw it. Compare it to other designs.
How is it different? How is it the same?
Do research on traditional boats by looking in the library.
Then....the hard part...find a piece if wood and begin the project.
If it fails, try again.

Zyana ~ Beu Ribe wrote:
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Tailgunner

Jacques Mertens wrote:

For questions about our plans, please post on our tech. support web site:
http://bateau2.com/modules.php?name=Forums

Sorry but I can't respond to individual emails but I will respond there.
That way, everybody benefits from the answers plus, builders of the boats
you consider will jump in and give their unbiased opinion.

Fair enough. I'll start a new thread.

For the apprentice type job, I respond personally: jmertens at e-boat.net.
--
Jacques