Backyard Renegade

Default Anyone want an apprentice for free?

"Zyana ~ Beu Ribe" wrote in message hlink.net...
Hi All,

Is there anyone in the Tampa area who would be willing to teach me how to
build wooden boats with them hands-on? Individual or business?

I've wanted to know the principles of building a wooden boat for 2 years,
but just can't get it out of a book. I've got an idea for a boat design
that isn't even seen in the Tampa area.

I just want to learn. I'm not out to learn and then compete with my
teacher.

Anyone want some help for free? You'd have to teach me, though.

Thanks, All,

Sandra

Well, seems you have not had a lot of response here. Most folks who
build their own boats, build on a weird schedual. This is the primary
reason I have never taken on folks who make offers such as yours.
However, we can all help. Here is what you do... I know, no books, but
it is easier than you think. Go to instantboats.com and buy the book
"build the new instant boats" for $20. Read it three times (124 pages)
and if you have any questions, give us a shout. You should not have
many though, the plans and layout of this manual are specifically
designed for folks who don't know how to build boats and make it
possible for them have a successful first build. Pick one of the small
boats in the book and start building a boat for less than $200. If you
have any questions at all, call the author, or ask here in this group.
You must first understand that with the Epoxy technology (calibrated,
almost foolproof pumps), and the other materials available today,
anyone who has ever used a hammer or handsaw can build a decent boat.
I should mention that Dynamite Payson (instantboats.com) is a freind
and a client. There are also other places that "specialize" in getting
first time builders into the right boat and plan set, that grumpy old
Jaques guy over at bateau.com can also be a good place to start for
first time builders. I will mention here while I am putting out kudos
that I also sell a very limited line of boat plans, but they are not
for beginners, catch you next time around.
Anyway, this is just a suggestion in case you get no other offers,
Scotty from SmallBoats.com