posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Dan Krueger

Default ??? about clear plastic

Peter Bennett wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:32:13 -0500, dh@. wrote:

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic
sown together, and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I
don't know what to call them. What I'm mainly interested
in is the plastic. Can anyone tell me some specifics about
it so I have an idea what to look for, and maybe even
where to get it?

Ask around for someone who does "boat canvas" - they will have, or
know where to get, that plastic.

You might also look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastic" for suppliers
of plastic sheet and other materials.

Shops that do custom convertible top replacements are another source of
high quality flexible clear plastic.

Dan
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Evan Gatehouse

Dan Krueger wrote:
Peter Bennett wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:32:13 -0500, dh@. wrote:

A lot of people around here have covers made for their
boats that will go around the front deck or a rear deck,
custom made of fabric and heavy flexible clear plastic sown together,
and it usually snaps and zippers in place. I don't know what to call
them. What I'm mainly interested in is the plastic. Can anyone tell
me some specifics about it so I have an idea what to look for, and
maybe even where to get it?

Ask around for someone who does "boat canvas" - they will have, or
know where to get, that plastic.

You might also look in the Yellow Pages under "Plastic" for suppliers
of plastic sheet and other materials.

Shops that do custom convertible top replacements are another source of
high quality flexible clear plastic.

Dan

Though do beware - use the 0.04" thick "sheet" plastic, not
stuff off a roll for best visibility.

Evan Gatehouse
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
dh@.

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:22:51 -0800, Evan Gatehouse wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:
Peter Bennett wrote:

[...]

Getting down to details, but that leads to more questions about
what's what:
http://tinyurl.com/95ye8

Related Ads Plastic Sheets

Urethane Sheets
Wide range of sizes to choose from. Online store is now open
www.sunray-inc.com

Urethane Sheets
Northstar Polymers delivers custom urethane sheet mfg solutions
www.northstarpolymers.com

Low Density Polyethylene
Sheeting, Films, CF, Construction All printing and colors available
www.univpack.com/ldpe-plastic

Acrylic Plastic Sheets
Suppliers of Industrial Sheeting Search Locally by State or Zip Code
www.ThomasNet.com

Plastic Sheeting Supplier
Guaranteed low price-Huge Selection Save 5% - Online Order Discount!
www.aplasticbag.com

Poly Sheeting
Poly Sheeting For Outdoor Storage Covers And Building Enclosure

Drake Plastics Torlon
All Torlon Grades: 4203, 4275, 4301, 4347, 4435, 5030, 7130.
www.drakeplastics.com
[...]

Related Ads:
Plastic Sheets
Polyethylene Sheeting
Plexiglass
Lexan
Plastic Materials
Clear Plastic Window
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
LD

Most of the larger pieces are "clear flexible vinyl", UV treated or
resistant. .012" thick, 54" wide on rolls at the local fabric store. The
..04 or .040" referred to would be a high quality "press polished" sheet,
about 20" x 40". This would be available from a plastics distributor (if
they will sell a small quantity).
If you want to DIY these are the routes to go. Otherwise, try auto/marine
upholstery, tent & awning, or canvas shops.
LD

wrote:

Dan Krueger wrote:
Peter Bennett wrote:

[...]

Ernest Scribbler

"Steve" wrote
http://www.sailrite.com/
Nice people.

You can say that again. I had an unusual sewing machine fault a while back
and someone there (one of the Grants, as I recall) was very friendly and
patient in helping me sort it out.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Courtney Thomas

Ernest Scribbler wrote:
"Steve" wrote

http://www.sailrite.com/
Nice people.

You can say that again. I had an unusual sewing machine fault a while back
and someone there (one of the Grants, as I recall) was very friendly and
patient in helping me sort it out.

Same here. They saved our bacon on a sewing machine dilemma.

CT

??? about clear plastic dh@. General 15 December 15th 05 03:07 AM
Need Plastics or plastic parts? Dave General 0 November 7th 05 08:47 PM
Need Starboard or other plastic parts and material? Dave Crew 0 November 7th 05 08:36 PM