posted to rec.boats.building
Denis Marier

Default Water in the bilge

I am returning from a boat shopping trip in North East US. I look at
some boat that have been yard maintained and on land for a while and one
boat in the water. When lifting the floor board on three boat on land and
one in the water I found that their bilge's were top full of water. The
bilge
pumps and float switches were under water. I wonder what the winter sub
zero temperature will do. I have had a sailboat for 24 years and never had
a bilge full of water. I wonder what could exactly be the cause of this
water accumulation.

posted to rec.boats.building
Robert or Karen Swarts

Even small leaks will accumulate a lot of water over a period of time. My
25-footer had a number of small leaks in the deck house and various
fittings. The bilge would routinely have a foot of water in it after a hard
rain storm. By observing from inside while it was raining, I was able to
find the leaks and plug them. No water after a rain storm now.

Also, condensation can contribute a fair amount over a period of time. I put
a small heater in mine during the winter months.

Bob Swarts
"Denis Marier" wrote in message
I am returning from a boat shopping trip in North East US. I look at
some boat that have been yard maintained and on land for a while and one
boat in the water. When lifting the floor board on three boat on land and
one in the water I found that their bilge's were top full of water. The
bilge
pumps and float switches were under water. I wonder what the winter sub
zero temperature will do. I have had a sailboat for 24 years and never
had
a bilge full of water. I wonder what could exactly be the cause of this
water accumulation.

posted to rec.boats.building
Dave W

I have seen otherwise fine boats with a bilge full of ice......garboards
broken, frames moved....wonderful. One was a well maintained Herreshoff S
boat stored inside for the winter....and the roof leaked. No one had been
near her for months. What a pitty. Every boat I have ever owned has had a
bilge drain just for this very reason. Boat comes out of water, drain plug
comes out! Yes, even the kayak.
Dave

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
Carribean Sail Don White General 16 November 18th 05 02:23 AM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 7 October 12th 05 10:25 PM
A Recreational Boating Message Skipper General 0 October 12th 05 06:42 PM