Courtney Thomas

Default can microfibers be mixed with epoxy permitting injection using WestMarine'ssyringes ?

If yes, how would you recommend this be done ?

Thank you.
--
Courtney Thomas
s/v Mutiny

James W. Sloan

Yes it can be done. A lot depends on the void, hole, or whatever you're
trying to fill. I've used WEST Microfibers with slow hardener through a
syringe. It is something of a trial and error process, buy at least a few
syringes to spare. I had good luck using a single pump of each
(resin/hardener) and about 3 heaping teaspoons of the microfibers. Try first
with 2 spoonfuls and see how your consistency is doing, then add the third
if needed. You'll have to trim the syringe tip to make it a little wider,
again this depends on the size of the hole. I cut mine at an angle about 1/3
up from the tip to fill screw holes, further up for a bead of the mixture.

Good Luck,

James

James W. Sloan

If the resin is warm, it flows more easily.

You're right of course, I tend to forget about temperature issues because I
live in such a warm area. This might be a big help though in getting the mix
to flow into smaller areas.

How do you typically warm the epoxy? I've used a heat gun in the past to
warm the surface of plywood to prevent outgassing, but never heated the
resin itself.

James