Bruce

Default Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Kiyu

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:58:23 -0400, "Bruce"
wrote:

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

You might look at an 8 footer for kids called Bebop at
http://www.svensons.com/boat/

May not be exactly what you want but is worthlooking at.

Kiyu

Bruce

Kiyu,
Great site and thanks much for the link.
I have another question for all the builders out there. Is it Ok to take
the plans for a full size boat and just "shrink" it to the size I want?
Looks is one thing but I also want something that is safe for the kids.
Thanks again
Bruce
wrote:

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren

and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such.

plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to

the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or

any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

You might look at an 8 footer for kids called Bebop at
http://www.svensons.com/boat/

May not be exactly what you want but is worthlooking at.

Kiyu

James W. Sloan

Check out Glen-Ls "Squirt" runabout. Its about 10 ft. long and is a scaled
down decked outboard (about 10 hp) runabout style. Several have been built
with the strip mahogany look, or just pick a paint scheme. The framework
looks pretty simple and then you just cover it with ply. See www.glen-l.com
for details.

James

William R. Watt

"Bruce" ) writes:
Kiyu,
Great site and thanks much for the link.
I have another question for all the builders out there. Is it Ok to take
the plans for a full size boat and just "shrink" it to the size I want?
Looks is one thing but I also want something that is safe for the kids.

the old scaling down arithmetic - bouyancy is volume, not length. when you
reduce the length you reduce the volume, and thus the bouyancy by the cube.
a boat half as long has one eigth the bouyancy. just something to keep in
mind.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rick Tyler

wrote:

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.

You know, I would have sworn Glen-L would have something like this
(www.glen-l.com), but I couldn't find one.

I did find a really cool alternative though...
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/tubbytug.html.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian