BoatBanter.com

-   -   Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat (https://www.boatbanter.com/boat-building/6209-help-needed-custom-%22kiddy%22-boat.html)

Bruce October 24th 03 08:58 PM

Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

Kiyu October 24th 03 10:55 PM

Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:58:23 -0400, "Bruce"
wrote:

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.
Bruce

You might look at an 8 footer for kids called Bebop at
http://www.svensons.com/boat/

May not be exactly what you want but is worthlooking at.

Kiyu

Bruce October 25th 03 02:57 AM

Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat

Kiyu,
Great site and thanks much for the link.
I have another question for all the builders out there. Is it Ok to take
the plans for a full size boat and just "shrink" it to the size I want?
Looks is one thing but I also want something that is safe for the kids.
Thanks again
Bruce

James W. Sloan October 25th 03 03:36 AM

Help needed for custom "kiddy" boat

Check out Glen-Ls "Squirt" runabout. Its about 10 ft. long and is a scaled
down decked outboard (about 10 hp) runabout style. Several have been built
with the strip mahogany look, or just pick a paint scheme. The framework
looks pretty simple and then you just cover it with ply. See www.glen-l.com
for details.

James

William R. Watt October 25th 03 03:55 AM

"Bruce" ) writes:
Kiyu,
Great site and thanks much for the link.
I have another question for all the builders out there. Is it Ok to take
the plans for a full size boat and just "shrink" it to the size I want?
Looks is one thing but I also want something that is safe for the kids.

the old scaling down arithmetic - bouyancy is volume, not length. when you
reduce the length you reduce the volume, and thus the bouyancy by the cube.
a boat half as long has one eigth the bouyancy. just something to keep in
mind.
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Rick Tyler October 25th 03 05:57 AM

wrote:

I would like to build a small (6-10') wooden boat for my grandchildren and
would like it to look like an old runabout with mahogany decks and such. I
plan on using an electric outboard for power with shop made controls to the
cockpit.
Does anyone have any idea where I might find plans for such a craft or any
ideas in general.
Any help would be appreciated.

You know, I would have sworn Glen-L would have something like this
(www.glen-l.com), but I couldn't find one.

I did find a really cool alternative though...
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/special/tubbytug.html.

- Rick Tyler

--
"Ignorant voracity -- a wingless vulture -- can soar only into the
depths of ignominy." Patrick O'Brian