Ron Thornton

Default AL exhaust manifold, paint or not

My Perkins 4-108 has a cast aluminum exhaust manifold. I have it off
for inspection and pressure testing. As part of the inspection, I have
remove all paint and primer to bare metal. Other than aesthetics, is
there any reason to repaint.

Ron

Baja-Mo

Unusual - most Perkins water cooled exhaust manifolds are cast iron.
The intakes are alum.

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:06:43 -0400 (EDT), (Ron
Thornton) wrote:

My Perkins 4-108 has a cast aluminum exhaust manifold. I have it off
for inspection and pressure testing. As part of the inspection, I have
remove all paint and primer to bare metal. Other than aesthetics, is
there any reason to repaint.

Ron

Ron Thornton

Baja,

I was kind of surprised by that too. Both manifolds and the expansion
tank are definitely AL, I can cut them with a knife and they react to
phosphoric acid in the proper way. They seem to be holding up well.
There were a lot of variations on these engines over the years.

Regards, Ron

Mercuiser Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold & Elbow Question? Tommy M General 2 June 6th 04 04:13 PM
DIY Exhaust Lloyd Sumpter General 0 December 29th 03 11:37 PM
Exhaust conversion to thru-hull Tan PS General 1 December 28th 03 04:49 PM
Mechanics / Boat Savy: Exhaust Manifold & Thermostat Housing Matt General 8 November 7th 03 02:42 AM
engine paint in fuel system David Ward General 0 August 20th 03 04:20 AM