David Flew

Default Paragon Gearbox.

Hi
I'm about to settle on a slightly larger boat - moving from a 18ft clinker
fishing boat to about 23 ft. During test drive ( what IS the right word for
this ..) today my only issue was with the gearbox. forward and reverse are
OK, but in neutral it is still turning the prop, although not at engine
speed. The owner tells me it's a Paragon direct drive.
Any resources for manuals or diagrams of this sort of box? Is this an
adjustment, a maintenance, or a design issue?

The present owner just stops the engine as he comes into berth; I can see
situations where this is not ideal so I'd like to fix it. Otherwise a nice
boat for what I want - even if it is 1959 vintage .....

And before you ask, I do know what I'm getting myself into. I'm swapping
the problems of one old wooden boat for the problems of another slightly
larger old wooden boat. So I'll have slightly more expensive problems....

Any pointers most appreciative.

David

Brian Whatcott

An engine with effective neutral will windmill the prop when under
way. It is a non-intuitive fact (for aircraft at least) that a stopped
prop is less draggy than a windmilling prop. Some boat transmissions
can be locked.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:29:25 +1000, "David Flew"
wrote:

[...]

Steve

I've had similar problem with a twin engine '59 Chris Craft with Paragon
gears.

I believe that a true (non turning) neutral can be achieved by adjusting the
bands, but I was never able to to keep the prop shaft from creaping while
dead in the water. I know that this creaping doesn't have much torque
because if I tighten the shaft packing (more than it should be) I could stop
the shaft, however if I rev'ed the engine up to about 1k the shaft would
start to turn.

I finally just gave up and lived with it. If swimmers were in the water, I
killed the engine.

As far as manouvering into a dock, I would leave the engine running until
I'm in postion to get the lines over and then kill it so the boat doesn't
power against your efforts.

Sorry I can't offer more encouragement.

--
My opinion and experience. FWIW

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Tom Dacon

fishing boat to about 23 ft. During test drive ( what IS the right word

for
this ..)

sea trials

Steve

Actually to resolve his question/problem, Brian should be doing Dock Trials
.. Followed by Sea Trials.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

David Flew

I've decided that it was actually spouse trials - and since she nodded, it's
passed. Bank trials are next.
Having passed the spouse trial I've decided I can live with the gearbox
issue for a while.
David

"Steve" wrote in message
Actually to resolve his question/problem, Brian should be doing Dock

Trials
. Followed by Sea Trials.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

Steve

Good for you Brian.

You might find an experienced 'ole-time' marine mechanic who can adjust the
clutch bands for you.. Don't expect the current gang to be much help.
They'll have a good laugh at the shop after trying to sell you a new
engine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

David Flew

Steve
I'm David - and I'm after help in dealing with this myself. Where my "new"
boat ( and for that matter my "old" boat)is moored "modern"boats are
anything after about 1970. I'm a member of a fishing club with about 70
members, I think 3 now have plastic boats, 3 have "sticks", and the rest are
either carvel or clinker ( "lapstrake") ranging from about 15 to 25 ft.
"New" is not part of our vocabulary.

So does anyone have literature, or even a good description of what I'm
dealing with here.

Or a suggestion as to where others infilcted with such an ancient beast
might lurk .......

Regards
David

"Steve" wrote in message
Good for you Brian.

You might find an experienced 'ole-time' marine mechanic who can adjust

the
clutch bands for you.. Don't expect the current gang to be much help.
They'll have a good laugh at the shop after trying to sell you a new
engine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

HarryV

I have one of these transmissions. Yes, in neutral the prop will
sometimes turn very slowly while not underway. The clutch plates in
the transmission will tend to "drag" a little. This is normal and does
not cause a problem. Underway (sailboat with engine off) the prop
freewheels without harm to the transmission. At least no harm for the
last 40 years or so.

Email me if you want a copy of the manual. It may not be the same
model as yours but the principles should be the same for any Paragon.

Harry