HarryV

Default Paragon Gearbox.

I have one of these transmissions. Yes, in neutral the prop will
sometimes turn very slowly while not underway. The clutch plates in
the transmission will tend to "drag" a little. This is normal and does
not cause a problem. Underway (sailboat with engine off) the prop
freewheels without harm to the transmission. At least no harm for the
last 40 years or so.

Email me if you want a copy of the manual. It may not be the same
model as yours but the principles should be the same for any Paragon.

Harry

"David Flew" wrote in message ...
Steve
I'm David - and I'm after help in dealing with this myself. Where my "new"
boat ( and for that matter my "old" boat)is moored "modern"boats are
anything after about 1970. I'm a member of a fishing club with about 70
members, I think 3 now have plastic boats, 3 have "sticks", and the rest are
either carvel or clinker ( "lapstrake") ranging from about 15 to 25 ft.
"New" is not part of our vocabulary.

So does anyone have literature, or even a good description of what I'm
dealing with here.

Or a suggestion as to where others infilcted with such an ancient beast
might lurk .......

Regards
David

"Steve" wrote in message
Good for you Brian.

You might find an experienced 'ole-time' marine mechanic who can adjust

the
clutch bands for you.. Don't expect the current gang to be much help.
They'll have a good laugh at the shop after trying to sell you a new
engine.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions