Jonathan Ganz

Default Jet Ski overheating problem

In article .com,
John wrote:
Not to mention the times we've
been at anchor and they scream around our boat just to get a rise out

of our little dog who hates the noise they make.

Are you really that self centered to think that other people really
give a **** about your dog's reaction? You can't be serious.

I've seen similar in this area. Some bozo on a jetski doing donuts
around a boat at anchor with a dog barking its head off. There was no
other reason for the guy doing it. I'm sure he thought it was equally
funny when the local sherrif gave him a ticket for going over the 5mph
posted speed limit.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

dh@.

On 26 Oct 2005 18:54:01 -0700, "ladysailor" wrote:

I have no sympathy for the jet ski enthustiast. Too many times I've
been in a tight situation on a sail boat when these dick heads think
it's funny to ride doughnuts around us. Not to mention the times we've
been at anchor and they scream around our boat just to get a rise out
of our little dog who hates the noise they make.

I'm with the dog, I don't like the noise either!

Lady Sailor

Sometimes sailboats are a pain in the ass too. I've gotten
chapped at more than one of them in my houseboat. I'm willing
to bet you've been cussed a few times yourself.
dh@.

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:20:03 +0200 (CEST), Nomen Nescio ]
wrote:

"

Yes. You need to take your jet ski to an acid dip facility
and leave it in over night. Encourage your friends to do
the same.

This is hateful, childish, and just plain mean spirited.

There is NO place for this kind of behavior here, or anywhere
else that may be connected with sailing, cruising, or water
sports.

A fellow mariner asked a legitimate question, to which you
chose to respond in a snide and insulting way. Just because
you don't like his choice of vessel, you think you have the
right to be dismissive and rude. That is plain wrong.

I'm appalled and ashamed (for you) that you would act this
way. You are the kind that gives the rest of us a bad reputation.

A person doesn't need an open mind to participate in ngs.
I have a Jet Ski. And a houseboat. And a runabout. And
4 kayaks. They all have their different uses...their good and
bad points. I've gotten ****ed of at a lot of pwc riders. And
at houseboats, cruisers for sure, sailboats, and certainly at
runabouts. They all can be fun, or dangerous. Their operators
can be courteous or inconsiderate. People who just hate
pwcs don't seem like the type who would be thoughtful or
considerate, regardless of what type boat they're operating.
dh@.

On 23 Oct 2005 22:02:49 -0700, "John" wrote:

Most of the elitist geniuses here don't know how to care for their own
boats. They're too busy wishing their wives would let them have a
jetski. The last two posts shows you the quality of advice here.
You'll have better luck at rec.sport.jetski.

John

Thanks.
ladysailor

No d, I can't say that we've ever been cussed at. But then, we don't
go out of our way to **** people off by buzzing around them, cutting
them off and racing through marina's causing large wakes.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Scotty

Ok, I'll admit about 90% of the jet skiers I see are no problem.
I even wave to some of them. It's that other 10% that zip around
anchorage's and run in circles and ride boat wakes and generally
are just so damn annoying that it's easy to just want to
eliminate the whole bunch. but then, that wouldn't be fair,now,
would it?

SV

wrote in message
oups.com...
But it's true Scotty, I don't know why I'm letting you engage

me in
this stupid discussion, slow day at work I guess, but I can

tell you,
I've been riding pwc's full time for eight years now and know

I'm as
much of a boater as anyone else out there on the water, and so

are my
many very experienced, capable pwcing friends (many of whom

have bigger
boats as well)....with a lot of the same issues,

responsibilities,
interests, concerns, and passions, as anybody in a bigger boat.

What
I've noticed and must tell myself to keep in mind, is that I

pretty
much never get this kind of obnoxious, elitist, prejudiced,

smug,
superior anti-pwc attitude from any fellow boaters that I

actually
encounter out on the water, on the beaches, at the docks, at

boating
safety classes, etc.....only from usenet assholes......I always

feel
like a welcome member of the boating community just like

anybody else
on the water, except on boating newsgroups. Sure, sometimes

they're
surprised to see us at different places out there, like

crossing over
to Block Island from Montauk or cruising the Hudson River in

our dry
suits in 50-degree temperatures this last weekend, but pretty

much
always friendly and respectful.

richforman

On behalf of the pwc community, let me say that obviously anyone who
does those things
is idiotic, irresponsible and probably a newbie or a kid. But no one I
ride with, and I ride with lots
of fellow pwc touring/cruising enthusiasts, would do anything like that
once they have maybe a
season's experience under their belt to figure out what's going on (We
usually learn our lessons early on by getting
ticketed by the marine law-enforcement agents who usually seem to
perform more enforcement with pwc's than with
other boats acting just as stupidly and dangerously....and actually
it's good because after you've been
pulled over or ticketed once or twice for a no wake zone or not having
the required safety equipment on board, you learn
the rules pretty fast!....'Course when I started riding eight years
ago, that was before they had the mandatory
education/certification requirement that NYS now has for all pwc
operators, so I would guess that newbies are
more educated and prepared from the get-go now....I know accident and
injury statistics have gone down). Anyway, it is unfair stereotyping
to try to paint the entire pwc world as exhibiting that kind of
behavior. I guarantee you if you saw me or any of my riding friends on
the water you wouldn't see anything like the kind of behavior you
mention.

richforman

ladysailor

You make some good points Rich. To be fair I should mention that we
left the US three years ago and have been sailing the Western Coast of
Mexico since. Here the rules and policing of pwc's is far different,
read non existent. It's good to know that things are shaping up
north of us should we ever sail the US again.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

Terry Spragg

ladysailor wrote:

Some Bud Yelse wrote:
I ran over gravel in my seadoo. How can I unstick my impellor?

Some Co-Troller Yelse wrote:
Flush it with gas, use zippo to see inside if it's unclogged.
..
..(Paraphrased) Other insults redacted -TK
..
A real Seadoo Bunny wrote:
No d, I can't say that we've ever been cussed at. But then, we don't
go out of our way to **** people off by buzzing around them, cutting
them off and racing through marina's causing large wakes.

Barb
www.sailinglinks.com

You can jump my wake, if chasing sailors is your crush.

Once or twice, anyway. Maybe I could give you a tow, if you want to
come aboard for a coffee.

One of my best feelings was when we towed under sail a family of 5
in a small speedboat at near hull speed. As it happened, they were
flooded, not out of gas. After half an hour of coaching, the
skipper began to understand starting a hot engine with a manual
choke. Who said sailors don't need to be gearheads? At least they
were all wearing lifejackets. Foreigners, visiting a wedding. A
rented motorboat excursion thrill, worried grandma and all. They got
to the wedding on time.

Didj'a ever climb the rigging from from one boat to another? I have
a ladder on my transom that can be used for docking my dinghy. It
makes it easy to get back and forth, even under way, with hand
lines. Pulling a rope on a seadoo bow shouldn't be any more
difficult than pulling my old dinghy close up behind, even at
sailing speed.

Could you climb from your cockpit to the bow of your sea scooter if
it was tied to my stern ladder articulation whilst under sail?

Would a flooded flexy framed inflatable sailcloth bumkin shape make
a seadoo easier to tow at sailing speed? What a plan for a fast
dinghy! An inflatable "trailer" for a seadoo might make it a winner
as a sailor's second boat. Fun? It could also tow, even push a
becalmed pure sailboat back to it's mooring.

Strangely, it seems the most expensive part of a sailboat is an
engine. Why can not an engine for a sail boat cost less than for an
obnoxius sounding wave jumper?

Perhaps an inflatable sailboat with a built in dock for a seadoo, al
la Captain Nemo's submarine dinghy?

How about a submersible swath effect sailboat with no need for a
weighty keel? A seperate steerable tip on a keel should enable a
hydrodynamic steerable keel effect, keeping the keel erect in the
water even under press of sail. Would the hydrodynamic drag be less
than that of a heavy weight keel supporting hull? Why could not a
submarine be towed by a kite hooked to it's periscope?

Add a n inflatable trampoline and a picknic basket and you have a
floating airbed mattress and tent you could portage, except for the
heavy engine. No mast, even. Maybe 10 HP would do?

The reason sailing is getting so expensive is a marketing ploy to
pare down the number of adventurous people on the water, while
extracting the most money from the rich aspiring boat snobs. They
would pose less of a crowd control problem if their propellors did
not hurt manatees.

You could even have a bicycle based excercise machine to recharge
the Hall effect brake regenerator rotor motor batteries for the 3 hp
impellor, if the inflatable solar cells weren't getting enough sun,
and there wasn't enough wind to sail, and if you couldn't afford or
find gas or diesel. Or, you could pay to join an excercise club?

How much power do you really need to tow a skiier, even as slowly as
possible?

Don't I remember a ski tow drone with remote control tow cables
being in the news 20 years ago with a 20 horse motor? Remember the
pogo foil water scooter? They have international races, now, like a
scooter steeplchase.

Is this an overheating thread?

Reverse flush your impellor! turn it a little in reverse by hand.
Take the spark plugs out to make it easy to turn. Get a firefighting
hose fixture on the outlet of your seadoo, volunteer as a helicopter
smoke jumper into a lake or river near a forest fire or village in
need of water. Anchor just offshore to fight the fire and tie the
boatette to a tree. Tow a Zeanon water filter in a flexy bag.

No, I'm not the Terry Spragg who invented the water bag for towing
glaciers to Saudi Arabia. Somebody called me once, looking for him.

Your free sample of ideas from -SofDevCo- © "Brains for rent."

Job opportuniy: Need freelance marketing executive, or government
grant for feasability study. Undetectable kickbacks not guaranteed.
-You could be our first customer.

College research theses entertained. Non-disclosure agreement required.

Terry K

Terry Spragg

wrote:

[...]

I second that emotion.

Most PWCers I see seem intent on getting to their favorite fishing
spot, and then home in time to cook their catch for supper. No
bother, really.

It's usually the kids... Wannabe hells rangers waterbikers, it seems.

Terry K