barry lawson

Default foot propelled jet ski?

Willliam,
Consider the basic principle that thrust = mass x velocity, but power
consumption is proportional to !/2MV2.
This means that while a small jet at twice the speed has the same thrust as
the larger jet at twice the area, the power consumption is four times
greater!
Big Slow Pumps!
For anyway near the same effectiveness the jet area needs to be around the
blade area of an oar.

Regards barry lawson

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

My main concern is the amount of propulsion that could be provided by foot
operated water pumps. I imagine a slow pump action, using, say 3" plastic
drain pipe for the pump body. I'll guess have to get out the college
physics
text and try some calcultations. Anything I should take into
consideration?

William R. Watt

Any opinions on the feasibility of foot-operated water jet propulson for a
small boat like a canoe or kayak? I was thinking of mounting twin water
pumps on the (out)sides of the hull to suck water in the front of the
pumps and squirt it out the back through a smaller diameter pipe to make a
jet stream. The water pumps would be foot operated through levers and a
pivot. Got the idea from reading a book on ancient Roman engineering.
Could the legs and water jets produce enough propulsion to move the boat
at, say, walking speed? I think a separate pump on each side, powered
independently by the two legs, would allow the operator to steer the boat
by pumping one harder than the other to turn.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Brian Nystrom

William R. Watt wrote:
Any opinions on the feasibility of foot-operated water jet propulson for a
small boat like a canoe or kayak? I was thinking of mounting twin water
pumps on the (out)sides of the hull to suck water in the front of the
pumps and squirt it out the back through a smaller diameter pipe to make a
jet stream. The water pumps would be foot operated through levers and a
pivot. Got the idea from reading a book on ancient Roman engineering.
Could the legs and water jets produce enough propulsion to move the boat
at, say, walking speed? I think a separate pump on each side, powered
independently by the two legs, would allow the operator to steer the boat
by pumping one harder than the other to turn.

That's what paddles are for. Simple, elegant, effective engineering. I
don't understand why people are constantly trying to "update" the basic
design of these elegant craft with "Rube Goldberg" mechanical
mechanisms. A large part of the beauty of these boats lies in their
simplicity and the connection that the paddler has with the water. To
eliminate that is to change the very nature of the boat.

While your idea could certainly propel the boat, there are at least two
problems with it. First, the operator would still need to carry a
paddle, as it's necessary for turning and in the case of a kayak, for
bracing and rolling. Second, your system would not work for anything but
the gentlest of turns except perhaps on a really short boat. There
simply wouldn't be enough of a lever arm to cause the boat to turn abruptly.
William R. Watt

That's what paddles are for. Simple, elegant, effective engineering. I
don't understand why people are constantly trying to "update" the basic
design of these elegant craft with "Rube Goldberg" mechanical
mechanisms. A large part of the beauty of these boats lies in their
simplicity and the connection that the paddler has with the water. To
eliminate that is to change the very nature of the boat.

Mostly for hands free operation for taking snapshots or videos.
But alas, also because upper body muscles put a greater strain on the
heart for the wame amount of power than the lower body. It has something
to do with the upper body muscles being smaller and closer to the heart.
After a heart attack they encourage you to walk and discourage lifting.

While your idea could certainly propel the boat, there are at least two
problems with it. First, the operator would still need to carry a
paddle, as it's necessary for turning and in the case of a kayak, for
bracing and rolling. Second, your system would not work for anything but
the gentlest of turns except perhaps on a really short boat. There
simply wouldn't be enough of a lever arm to cause the boat to turn abruptly.

I can turn the boats fine with a small sail and no rudder or paddle,
adjusting sail postition and shifting weigth to adjust boat trim, but
there is the daggerboard to pivot on.

My main concern is the amount of propulsion that could be provided by foot
operated water pumps. I imagine a slow pump action, using, say 3" plastic
drain pipe for the pump body. I'll guess have to get out the college physics
text and try some calcultations. Anything I should take into consideration?

An earlier idea was separately operated foot paddles, like paddle wheels
but without the wheel protruding below the hull, so the paddles would be
raised out of the water at some point in their rotation, allowing the boat
to drift into shallow water. Also the paddles could be rotated
independently in either direction making turning easier, as is done with
oars. But the linkages, etc. I can imagine would be heavy and awkward. The
foot operated pumps I can imagine would be simpler.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Have you considered the idea of using foot-operated paddlewheels
instead? It would seem to me that they would give you better propulsion
for the same amount of effort. Also, I would think that they would
actually be easier to build and maintain. You could have 2 wheels (1
each side) and have them set up to mount on top of the gunwales. They'd
be nice and quiet too, for those nature pix that you might want to
capture with your camera.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Brian Nystrom

William R. Watt wrote:

Mostly for hands free operation for taking snapshots or videos.

That makes sense.

But alas, also because upper body muscles put a greater strain on the
heart for the wame amount of power than the lower body. It has something
to do with the upper body muscles being smaller and closer to the heart.

I'm afraid you're baseing your design on a false premise. The small
muscle groups of the upper body are not capable of driving the heart to
as high a rate as the large lower body muscles. I'm also an avid cyclist
and can tell you from experience that paddling is far easier on the
cardiovascular system than cycling is. With the exception of high
intensity paddling while surfing or playing in rocks, I never even get
winded while paddling. By comparison, I can drive my heartrate into the
high 180's on a bike.

It's not even remotely possible to generate the same amount of power
with the upper body muscles as with the lower body muscles, which is why
they cannot drive the heart rate as high. It's also why kayak racers use
boats that allow them to rotate at the hips using the legs to help drive
the boat.

After a heart attack they encourage you to walk and discourage lifting.

That's because straining to lift something increases blood pressure,
especially if you bend over to do it.
Bowgus

Too easy ... just need to convert the peddling motion to "flipper power" at
the back of the boat. Maybe pick up a mannequin, lop off the top half (don't
throw it away just yet), mount the lower half through the stern (aka
sterndrive), and set up some peddles and chain drive to a wheel at the back
with pins each side to which the mannequin legs attach, As the wheel turns,
the legs that pivot midpoint between the wheel and the flippered feet, start
flipping. For extra speed (remember I said don't throw away the upper part),
attach the upper part of the mannequin to the hull such that the arms are in
the water. Another chain from the peddles to those arms such that they do a
crawling motion, et voila ... yer laughing ... you and everbody else :-)

"William R. Watt" wrote in message

Any opinions on the feasibility of foot-operated water jet propulson for a
small boat like a canoe or kayak? I was thinking of mounting twin water
pumps on the (out)sides of the hull to suck water in the front of the
pumps and squirt it out the back through a smaller diameter pipe to make a
jet stream. The water pumps would be foot operated through levers and a
pivot. Got the idea from reading a book on ancient Roman engineering.
Could the legs and water jets produce enough propulsion to move the boat
at, say, walking speed? I think a separate pump on each side, powered
independently by the two legs, would allow the operator to steer the boat
by pumping one harder than the other to turn.

----
William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community

network
homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm

Toller

Somebody makes foot powered kayak. Looks dumb to me, but they claim it is
efficient.

dbraun

The design criteria that you describe has already been addressed in a
commercial product:

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/index.html

These kayaks have been available for over 10 years I believe. They are
functional and reliable. They have rudders, but a paddle is still used for
tight maneuvering.

Brian Whatcott

Hmmm... thrust - drag = mass X acceleration

Brian Whatcott