Peggie Hall

Default Any real household plumbers here?

If so, I have a problem at home that has me stumped, and would
appreciate some advice.
--
Peggie
----------
Bowgus

Bran flakes :-)

If so, I have a problem at home that has me stumped, and would
appreciate some advice.

Peggie Hall

Bowgus wrote:

Bran flakes :-)

LOL! Not MY plumbing...something in the house plumbing!

If so, I have a problem at home that has me stumped, and would
appreciate some advice.

--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327
Bowgus

Ok ... I'm not a real plumber, but I've refurbished a few houses over the
years, and just finished relocating (well, ok, the vent fan is still in the
box ... ) the kitchen in the old side of the house from one room to another
.... so what's the situation?

Peggie Hall

Bowgus wrote:

Ok ... I'm not a real plumber, but I've refurbished a few houses over the
years, and just finished relocating (well, ok, the vent fan is still in the
box ... ) the kitchen in the old side of the house from one room to another
... so what's the situation?

What could possibly plug up a bathroom sink drain that even 3 doses of
straight sulphuric acid can't dissolve??? And if sulphuric acid won't
dissolve it, what will, that won't also destroy the pipe (PVC, btw)???

Nothing has fallen into it...it's been gradually getting a little slower
for a while. It's not quite plugged completely...but drains so slowly
that the sink is all but unuseable. Fortunately my master bath has a
double vanity with two sinks...the other one drains just fine, or I'd be
up a creek.

The problem is further compounded by the fact that the p-traps have to
be the only ones on the planet that do not have threaded connections to
the pipes...there's no way to get the trap off without breaking a
cemented joint (pipes are PVC, btw). And I don't think I can get a snake
through the pipe unless I do remove the trap. Otoh, if sulphuric acid
won't dissolve whatever is in there, I prob'ly couldn't snake it anyway.

I don't want to pay a plumbing $100 just to pour something else down the
drain that I can buy for $10. There has to be something that'll dissolve
the clog...but if sulphuric acid won't do it, what will???

I'm open to any ideas that won't dissolve the pipes too.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:41:29 GMT, Peggie Hall
wrote:

Bowgus wrote:

[...]

Without researching the topic, I recall that lye saponifies grease to
soap, which is water soluble.
That seems like it has a fighting chance - since lye is somewhat
easier on metals than acids, usually?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Bowgus

Well .. here's a few thoughts ...

What could possibly plug up a bathroom sink drain that even 3 doses of
straight sulphuric acid can't dissolve??? And if sulphuric acid won't
dissolve it, what will, that won't also destroy the pipe (PVC, btw)???

Sulphuric acid ... yikes. First, check that you don't have a mess of hair
stuck in the strainer affair in the bottom of the sink. You can use needle
nose pliers to poke around there and pull up any that might be there. If
that's not the problem, try what's called a plunger :-) to clear the
p-trap. You have to hold a wet cloth over the overflow drain to do this
properly ... best done as a 2 person job. If that does not work, and there's
no "cleanout" (that plug that unscrews from the bottom of the trap) in the
p trap, then you might as well replace the trap with one that has one. I'm
sure you're familiar with abs and its installation. I'd just cut the old
drain at a convenient spot, and install a new trap.

Nothing has fallen into it...it's been gradually getting a little slower
for a while. It's not quite plugged completely...but drains so slowly
that the sink is all but unuseable.

Having said all that, if you have a long run from the sink to the main waste
pipe, the problem could be there ... especially if there's no vent pipe
(that second pipe that allows air in to help with the draining). So if you
do replace the p trap, and there is a long run, maybe snake that run while
you're at it. But you know what ... I'm betting there's a big clog of hair
clinging to the bottom of the strainer in the basin :-).

I don't want to pay a plumbing $100 just to pour something else down the
drain that I can buy for $10. There has to be something that'll dissolve
the clog...but if sulphuric acid won't do it, what will???

I'm open to any ideas that won't dissolve the pipes too.

Roger Derby

I'm not a plumber, but my richest cousin is a plumbing contractor in
Chicago, and I've been fighting clogged drains for 45 years.

Bowgus has the right idea; replace the trap(s). Sooner or later you'll need
to open them up again. I wouldn't worry about the cleanout plug since most
traps assemble and disassemble easily (except the one from 1919 that I
tackled in Florida. It was soldered in). Put a bucket under the work area
of course.

As to the "long run" idea, note that she said it's a double sink vanity and
the other sink works fine.

Every tool box should have what I call my "skinny fingers." It's a
galvanized metal gadget with a hypodermic type handle on top, a flexible
shaft, and, at the working end, three spring steel fingers that slide in and
out of a 1/4" OD steel tube. About 12" long overall, it retrieves hair
balls, Legos and diamond rings from drains pretty well. You can usually
find them at the auto parts stores.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"Bowgus" wrote in message
Well .. here's a few thoughts ...

[...]

Dave W

Hi Peggy,
I had a similar problem with a bathtub drain. We moved into a house
where the guest bathroom tub drain was slow. As years went by, it got
slower and slower. I too tried everything, not including sulfuric acid, and
was totally stumped. In despairation, I called in a $100 per hour plumber
with a power snake. He sweated and strained and finally ground his way
through a long lost shampoo bottle cap that had become lodged in a pipe
before the trap. The cap had accumulated hair and what not making the seal
almost perfect. It cost but it felt pretty good to get rid of the problem.
The plumber said the worst thing he ever ran into was a marble that had got
stuck. It came out only when the pipe was removed.
Dave
By the way, thanks for all your helpful info. on marine heads.
"Peggie Hall" wrote in message
. ..
If so, I have a problem at home that has me stumped, and would appreciate
some advice.
--
Peggie
----------
Peggie Hall
Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.seaworthy.com/store/custo...0&cat=6&page=1
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/detai...=400&group=327

William R. Watt

Acid shouldn't damage the plastic drain but it's hell on copper pipe.

I second (or third) the suggestion to clean out the drain by probing and
flushing with a plunger. I have long hair and have to clean out the sink
drains from time to time. You can just use a thin bladed knife to poke
around, or a bent coat hanger to get right down into the trap. Then fill
the sink half full of water, pull the plug and quickly put the plunger
over the drain. I get the best results pulling up on the plunger to suck
stuff out of the drain instead of pushing to try and force it through the
pipe into the sewer. Pick up the sludge that gets sucked back up inte the
sink and toss it in the garbage.

I've replaced a soldered solid brass P-trap with plastic and compression
fittings. It's straight forward and easy to do. All you keed is a hacksaw.
However take a look at the pipe too, the sludge built up in thin chromed
copper pipe promotes corrosion and those piples can become thin and weak.
I've had pinholes in those pipes. This house was built in 1964. I too have
a double vanity in the upstairs bath. I replaced both sinks and one of the
P-traps on those last spring. The faucettes were soldered to the water
pipes. They were removed by melting teh solder with a torch from teh
hardware store, and installing new shutoff taps with compression fittings.
No need to solder oor glue connections these days. All the fauwcettes in
the house now have P-traps and shutoff valves installed with compression
fittings.

Drains are funny. I used to rent out the house next door to a tennant.
The upstairs toilette was slow draining. I tried probing and
plunging but found nothing. Eventually had to remove the unit and found
nothing but a small metal button like a man's cuff link or something.
Frustrated, I reinstalled the unit. It worked fine after that.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm