Brian Nystrom

Default nu2 woodworking - my epoxied wood is delaminating,..

ahoy wrote:
ahoy, I epoxied some one inch strips of wood in slats to make up a
little decorative rope bin which was intended to sit on deck but it
warped and popped apart in about 3 days in a damp shop. Does
everything have to be notched or biscuited or doweled and pinned or
screwed? I thought epoxy was an invincible adhesive. I used left over
strips of purple hart and mahogany and west system 105/205 in a dry
room if that makes any difference. thanks as always.

Purple heart and mahogany are oily woods that can be difficult to glue
without careful preparation. Wiping the surfaces to be glued with a good
solvent (acetone, lacquer thinner) will improve the bond. Also, did you
apply a finish to the wood or leave it bare? If the latter, the
expansion an contraction of the wood from getting wet, then drying can
cause glue joint failures.