steamer

Default Archive of lines??

--Anyone know of a central archive of boat lines? I'm *still*
trying to find something better than the one or two photos of the type of
vessel I want to build (semi-planing wave piercing monohull), but I've
come up dry..
--Any leads appreciated,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou...
P.C. Ford

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:40:07 GMT, steamer wrote:

--Anyone know of a central archive of boat lines? I'm *still*
trying to find something better than the one or two photos of the type of
vessel I want to build (semi-planing wave piercing monohull), but I've
come up dry..

The Seattle Public Library has a huge index of plans and lines back to
the early 20th c.

Jim Conlin

Many designers will give their plans to a museum. NGH at MIT, LFH at
Mystic, etc.
If you can identify a designer, you can usually find out where the plans
are and whether and how they're accessible.

"steamer" wrote in message
--Anyone know of a central archive of boat lines? I'm *still*
trying to find something better than the one or two photos of the type of
vessel I want to build (semi-planing wave piercing monohull), but I've
come up dry..
--Any leads appreciated,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Hi

Steamer it seem like you know what you are looking for , you know what
type of hull and you proberly have an idea about what mid section shape
you want ----- why don't you just try put down the lines yourself in a
free CAD program such as IntelliCAD , it is not that difficult,
What could be difficult is to decide what materials to use ,what
building technike that is fit for the type of boat , also when you find
plans are these made for the building technike you will chose ?
Most amature builders find that one of the most important issues with a
build, is to have a strong building jig, something that allow you to
shape the paneling without fiddeling. Now the tradisional boat plans is
just sections cut thru a 3D form, many detail issues are left to be
solved by the builders experimence , most plans do not tell you that
the first plank will be a major challance or that the third plank ask
extra care as it cover forms that go from convex to concave forms on
the hull ------ now what not so many seem to know is, that all these
troubles are solved if the boat have been projected in a CAD program
--- you see ,when you unfold the paneling from a 3D model, you see
these difficult shapes that you have to put into the individual plank
or panel so to end up with a hull shape without to many sharp edges or
"impossible" details , details that can ruin the whole project if you
are not prepared for them.
So my advise is that you rather go into detail now and spend those few
extra hours, to acturly get what you want, instead of trusting just any
neat design just becaurse there are a simple front, side and top
drawing.

steamer

--While I could probably make a decent approximation it might
not be right in the water. To do justice to the rendering I'd want some
sort of CFD to "test" it and I'm woefully ignorant of that level of
technology. I could spend time and build models and test them but again
we're talking a pile of time. Ideally I want to know what I'm doing
from the get-go and proceed post haste to the full size version.
--I'm sufficiently crazy about the idea that I'm going to go
hunting for a sponsor or two but before I do I want to have my ****
together and not just a vague idea of what I'm after. Hence the
continuing quest for the right set of lines.
--The original designer is one Adrian Thompson, but I've
googled all over the place for the guy and I can't find *any* contact
info. I'm still not entirely sure what *continent* he calls home!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : A greasy donut, a cup of
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : coffee and thou...
http://www.nmpproducts.com/intro.htm
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

Hi
And when you find this designer and find out that now it is about
learning the intire craft,
------ Then you think you saved some time ?

Take my advise and realise that what you want is one-to-one plans,
plans that you can place strait ontop the sheets and cut from the lines
on the paper --- or you maby think it is easier to start with a scaled
set of drawings showing _none_ of the panels to cut, showing just the
tradisional sections that you can use for nothing, before you lofted
the lines ,calculated the pieces ,frames and panels you acturly need to
realy build both the model and the real thing.

It is a good idea to build a model, ----- but is there any idea to do
that if the model will not be build exactly like the real boat ? Will
you gather experience so you don't scrap a huge panel if your model is
just a "show the lines" thing , if it is not the exact scaled model
with the same frames the same panels just scaled down so you can see
where the trouble occour when building the real thing ?

Can you ask that designer to deliver one-to-one plans for panels for
frames bulkheads and ontop a waterline drawing from the 3D model ?

My advise -- if you realy mean this serious go check Cyber-Boat once
again.