Earleybird47

Default boat fairing need low price sand paper

I am in the process of fairing a 47 ft sailboat. I need a cheap sorce for 4
1/2 X30 hookit sandpaper sheets for my 3 m long board. I also need 8" round
stikit discs. any help will be apprectiated. The local yard is charging 6.28 a
sheet and 3.50 for the discs each.
Larry

Earleybird47,
I buy all my sandpaper, belts, and disks from Redhill Abrasives.

More info is he

http://www.supergrit.com/

I've always got good service and great prices on all my (about seven)
orders. Highly recommended!

Larry

"Earleybird47" wrote in message
I am in the process of fairing a 47 ft sailboat. I need a cheap sorce for

4
1/2 X30 hookit sandpaper sheets for my 3 m long board. I also need 8"

round
stikit discs. any help will be apprectiated. The local yard is charging

6.28 a
sheet and 3.50 for the discs each.

Stephen Baker

Try Jamestown Distributors :

www.jamestowndistributors.com

Steve
Ron Magen

Try Klingspor. They have a 'dedicated' catalog for sandpaper, etc. Plus one
they call 'Klingspore's Woodworking Shop' { www.woodworkingshop.com }. The
'Shop' not only has more selections, and variations WITHIN those, but an
array of tools & 'goodies' . . . some almost 'specific' to longboarding !!

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Earleybird47" wrote in message
I am in the process of fairing a 47 ft sailboat. I need a cheap sorce for

4
1/2 X30 hookit sandpaper sheets for my 3 m long board. I also need 8"

round
stikit discs. any help will be apprectiated. The local yard is charging

6.28 a
sheet and 3.50 for the discs each.

Old Nick

On 29 Sep 2003 03:40:25 GMT, (Earleybird47) wrote
something
.......and in reply I say!:

I can't help with pricing, but....

When I have faired, I used a home-made board (3 m long board! That's
something to throw back and forth all day!). I made it of plywood,
with the thickness made up of several thinner sheets, to give
flexibility. I had a few actually, of different sizes and numbers of
layers etc, for different jobs. To attach sandpaper, I bought great
rolls of painter's sandpaper or belt sander paper, in the half-sheet
width (probably 4.5"/115 mm). I then used a staple tacker to tack the
paper to the tops of the ends of the board, in a sort of primitive
version of how am orbital works. Handle position was a matter of
experiment, to avoid digging the ends in vs not bending the board etc.
Worked for me, and a heap cheaper than any pre-hooked stuff. I found
that I was able to follow the rule that you should discard paper quite
quickly, as it blunts fast (even the good stuff), and you are simply
making work for yourself by hanging on to old stuff.

I am in the process of fairing a 47 ft sailboat. I need a cheap sorce for 4
1/2 X30 hookit sandpaper sheets for my 3 m long board. I also need 8" round
stikit discs. any help will be apprectiated. The local yard is charging 6.28 a
sheet and 3.50 for the discs each.

************************************************** ****************************************
Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.
The rest sit around and make snide comments.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )
_//- \__/

Al Gunther

Old Nick wrote:

[...]

I did much the same, buying 4" wide fabric backed #40 grit in 50yd
rolls from Klingspore. Instead of staples, I used a spray adhesive
and three boards of different thicknesses. I found that having the
fabric well attached to the board was important and you really need at
least three boards. Spreading what ever you are fairing with using a
notched spreader rather than putting it on flat and then going lightly
with the boards, makes the job a lot easier and faster. I still had
to buy new sportcoats when I was through. The old ones were too tight
through the shoulders!

Al Gunther, Kingston, WA ---- 47° 48.1'N, 122° 30.0'W
http://agunther.home.donobi.net

offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
Sailor's tattoo, must be married too long, Wooden Boat Festival Gould 0738 General 2 September 10th 03 06:38 PM
Repost from Merc group Clams Canino General 0 August 29th 03 12:43 PM