Jassira

Default hand rails.....hoiw heigh ?

I have Bruce Roberts 53, steel, sailing boat (http://www.jassira.com) I
would like to fit taller solid hand rails. I think a height in the region
of 36"/42" would suffice, but what about diameter and wall thickness of the
tube. Stainless would great but I would happy with ordinary steel perhaps
with a
timber capping. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, also do you know
anyone who could make and or fit them south east England.

Thanks

Steve Lusardi

Jassira,
I have done this successfully, but 36" is too high visually for your boat. I
have done mine (58 x 19'6") with a height of 30" and it looks correct. I
used 32mm prepolished 316 stainless tubing for stanchions, caprail, pushpit
and pullpit. I fastened the stanchions with a single bolt 3/8-16 from below
deck through a nylon washer deckside and a large 3mm thick stainless washer
under the deck. I also pulled 3, 5mm stainless wires through the stanchions
for more stiffness. The wires run from pushpit to pullpit. within the
pushpit and pullpit I used welded tubes at the same locations height wise.
The wires will also support netting or wind blockers. Because the Roberts 53
does not have the beam of my boat, be prepared to use triangular stiffening
tubes midship. This is a big job and expensive. Material comes in 6 meter
lengths and is the smallest cost, so don't expect a significant savings by
using mild steel. You should find a guy that has a rolling tube bender and a
Tig welder to help you. Your cost will be around 6,000 pounds sterling. I
did mine in Cowes, IOW a few years ago.
Steve

"Jassira" wrote in message
I have Bruce Roberts 53, steel, sailing boat (http://www.jassira.com) I
would like to fit taller solid hand rails. I think a height in the

region
of 36"/42" would suffice, but what about diameter and wall thickness of

the
tube. Stainless would great but I would happy with ordinary steel perhaps
with a
timber capping. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, also do you

know
anyone who could make and or fit them south east England.

Thanks

boatdreams

I'm with you. 30" guardrails don't do it for me either. Of course, the
taller your rail, the more chafe on the foresail and the less effective
the sail trim.
Any wood toprail I can imagine would require structural support between
the stanchions unless you want stanchions 24" on center? Anyway, there
are too many variables to make guesses from long distance. A boatyard
can tell you exactly what you need. Good luck.
Boatdreams.