Old Nick

Default Response

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:46:28 GMT, "Terry Cano"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

There is no formula for displacement as such, because there are too
many factors. Hull shape. Intended use (are you packing a dog and the
picnic hamper etc?). Sails and rigging size and weight. Water
conditions.

Try downloading hull.exe.

http://www.carlsondesign.com

It's free. It allows basic boat design, and will certainly simplfy
your problem. I don't say you should design the boat, but you can look
at weights and displacements, stability, and such with it. There is
even a "10ftskiff" design in the accompanying samples.

I would also suggest simply asking designers whose plans you are
interested in.

I think the boating community is much like the general community. SOme
people are going to fling **** at any opportunity.

Your questions did not display a great deal of boat knowledge, and may
have misled people about that.

You got a couple of bad posts, and those were discussed and disagreed
with. I did have to read your original post twice to ensure the weight
thing. But the Jerrrrry Jerrrrry Jerrrrry Springer wannabe was way out
of line.

There was also some good advice there.

Reality is is known to me since I was raised in Key West and had boats in
the Atlantic since I was 11.
My dad and I built a 14' Skiff which was amongst many of the boats we owned
unfortunately at 10 you don't really appreciate the experience.
Also, I did more than a few days on shrimpers and crawfish boats pulling
traps. I also spent many hours with the Mel Fisher family on their boats
since I went to school with his sons.
Unfortunately, I wasn't interested in designing/building a boat and saw it
as employment and social adventure.
I may ask a dumb question or two but don't assume I know nothing of boats
You guys are making me wonder about the boat building community.

Terry
Now in So Cal

I could never _see_ myself as anything!

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )