Ron Thornton

Default Painting with Two-Pack

Mike,

A good place to start when confronted with a problem like this is the
Material Safety Data Sheet's. Look up both Awl Grip and the 709 and see
what percentages of solvents are used in each and if the Awl Grip has
any different ingredients. If so, play with the percentages and
ingredients of the 709. Sometimes it will screw things up but sometimes
you can make a discovery.

Ron

fraggy

dont use a brush use a small radiator roller.

"Steve" wrote in message

[snip]

What was the paint you used?.

I use International two pot over International primer over
epoxy/carbon/glass laminate and filler.

Jim C

I've not hand painted two pack products before, but I have sprayed them.

It appears that the International Polyurethane paint system may be
compatible with what I propose to do

I've finally got round to brush painting a couple of window frames on
the old Rolls Royce today using International perfection 709 two pack
polyurethane.

However the results are pretty awful so far

I have painted over two pack primer that has been left to cure for a
week so the polyurethane should go over it nicely but the 709 two pack
paint is drying far too quick and is not flowing out properly, I did
paint a test area a foot square on the wing and even that left brush
marks.

At the moment the paint as it is could not be used on larger panels if
it leaves brush marks showing on small painted areas.

Does the paint need additional thinning and if so what ratio of thinners
is required to give a longer open time or am I missing something else?.

Steve.

Steve

In message
"fraggy" wrote:

At the moment the paint as it is could not be used on larger panels if
it leaves brush marks showing on small painted areas.

dont use a brush use a small radiator roller.

I've decided to do all the woodwork in a synthetic coach enamel with a
brush, When the woodwork is finished I'll see how a roller performs on
the metal panels using the two pack paint.

Cheers,

Steve.