Simon Brooke

Default UK import duty and VAT on boat plans?

I'm currently thinking about two possible designs for my next
boat. One of the designers is in the US (Dick Newick) and the other is
in New Zealand (Malcolm Tennant). What I don't know in my budgeting is
whether I'm going to be hit for import duty and value added tax (VAT)
on these. If I am it could easily be a thousand pounds in tax and
that's a big hit.

Has anyone any experience of importing boat plans into the UK, and if
so are there any ways of minimising the tax hit?

I shall continue to be an impossible person so long as those
who are now possible remain possible -- Michael Bakunin

Al

Has anyone any experience of importing boat plans into the UK, and if
so are there any ways of minimising the tax hit?

I got some stuff shipped in from Duckworks magazine (US), didn't spot any
tax happening to me. But I may just be blind. It was low value (sub £30).

Al

David Flew

I'd be investigating just what it is you are importing.
Seems to me there are the physical plans, which you clearly are importing,
the right to use them ( anywhere in the world ... ) and the support of the
designer.
I'd be talking to the designer about what invoice value will attach to the
plans. Especially if you have previously paid for the rights to use them.
If NZ is anything like Aus, there would be no value added tax applicable,
since the "product" was being exported.

But given the potential for either big costs or big savings, I'd be paying
for advice from an import agent - not relying on guesses from the likes of
me.

David

. uk...