Habbi

Default 888 trim/tilt theory

I have an old 70's silverline with ford 302/mercruiser 888 and would like to
find out how the tilt/trim is supposed to work. There is an electric motor
driven hydraulic pump and then the hydraulic line goes to some horizontal
thing on the inside of the transom (looks like a hydraulic cylinder with an
attachment and 2 wires coming out of it which are disconnected) and then a
hydraulic line to something mounts on the engine block which is connected to
the shifting mechanism and has 2 wire coming from it (disconnected) and then
to the lower unit cylinders and back to the pump. I am familiar with
outboard set-ups but this make no sense to me. Also the dash has three
button. 1. up 2. up/out and 3. down. Is all this stuff some sort of
hydraulic/ electric switch which prevents the engine from running in the
up/out position. In my case only 2 of the buttons work which in effect are
up and down. Thanks for any help.