FINNATTIC

Default Bad Gas?????

I recently aquired an 86 Sea Ray 230 weekender from my Brother.The gas in the
tank is over a year old.Stablizer was added last summer and there is approx. 20
gal in a 50 gal tank.I recently replaced the impeller in the Alpha one outdrive
and have made the adjustments to the shift cable. I also added MDR start fresh
to the tankThe engine has 230 hrs on it and starts right up but runs rough I
have a problem stalling opon shifting in and out of gear. Could it be the poor
gas quality and if so can i fillup with high test to run it through.Any
sugestions...Thaks Rob Haas
Ed Edelenbos

I'd find the local regulations for getting rid of the old gas and pump
it out and put in fresh gas. After 6-9 mo., (esp. in a partially filled
tank) it is (IMO) unuseable. Well, for engines... it makes dandy
cleaner for paint brushes and in small amounts at a time, great starter
for bonfires. My dad (who I love dearly but is getting older and a
little more stubborn) was having a hell of a time with his outboard.
Wouldn't start, coughed a bit, etc. Finally I convinced him to go get a
new tank and hose. It started on the 2nd pull. It's hard to say which
part was the culprit, but for a mere $50 ($30 tank, $15 hose, $5 gas
approx.) it is done. He can go out on his boat again.

Ed

just_passing@

On 26 Jul 2003 12:47:17 GMT, (FINNATTIC) wrote:

I recently aquired an 86 Sea Ray 230 weekender from my Brother.The gas in the
tank is over a year old.Stablizer was added last summer and there is approx. 20
gal in a 50 gal tank.I recently replaced the impeller in the Alpha one outdrive
and have made the adjustments to the shift cable. I also added MDR start fresh
to the tankThe engine has 230 hrs on it and starts right up but runs rough I
have a problem stalling opon shifting in and out of gear. Could it be the poor
gas quality and if so can i fillup with high test to run it through.Any
sugestions...Thaks Rob Haas

Test for sure.
Carefully, bypass the main tank, with a hose into a gallon of fresh
stuff. Then you will know for sure.

But before I venture to blame the carb, or gas.
I look at the human side first and any recent alterations. As you
could have upset the balance and you need to do some adjustments.
Your shifting in and out - may not quite be right.
I would just push up the idle setting first.
Check plugs and timing
If its not that - and your plugs tell you have a mixture problem?

Then - the carb, either has gunk, air leak, needs adjustment. - The
idle jet side sounds okay - but the accelerator pump on the main jet
side seems to have a problem -
And or you are starting on the choke - once it warms up your idle
setting is too low. So check for faulty choke.

You can slide piece of something over the intake, ( to cut off the
air) and then listen - if it dies out as you gradually slide over -
its okay - but if it accelerates - or carries on you got an air leak.

But check the easy stuff first - I hate pulling carbs apart, its last
resort once I know for sure, what it is I am looking for.
Normally I get away with just squirting stuff in them, and fiddling
with that secondary side pump, and or its usually something else.

Donny

On 26 Jul 2003 12:47:17 GMT, (FINNATTIC) wrote:

I recently aquired an 86 Sea Ray 230 weekender from my Brother.The gas in the
tank is over a year old.Stablizer was added last summer and there is approx. 20
gal in a 50 gal tank.I recently replaced the impeller in the Alpha one outdrive
and have made the adjustments to the shift cable. I also added MDR start fresh
to the tankThe engine has 230 hrs on it and starts right up but runs rough I
have a problem stalling opon shifting in and out of gear. Could it be the poor
gas quality and if so can i fillup with high test to run it through.Any
sugestions...Thaks Rob Haas

Hi Rob,

We had a similar problem, but never had a single hesitation or sputter
from our gas, and it was about 7 or 8 years old!

Bought the boat with a full tank, and I know from a note left onboard
that Stabil was added. We siphoned off half of a full 50 gallon tank,
and replaced it with fresh, added some lead substitute, a little
Marvel Mystery oil, (as per my mechanics preferences and suggestion),
and a little Stabil, just in case.

Not only did it start right up, but never, and I'm serious, NEVER
hesitated or sputtered in the least.

My 2 cents: gas will last almost indefinitely if properly prepared,
and the tank is absolutely topped off before she sits.

I would suggest a good Racor fuel filter to catch that water before it
gets to the carb, emptied and/or changed often until you burn up the
old stuff.

If your carb has sat awhile, it might need a rebuild like ours did,
but you can get the parts at Napa, or any auto parts store, just make
sure it's the marine quality kit, as I think there's a difference in
the gasket material. Any good speed or hot rod shop can rebuild it for
you.

Hope I helped,
Donny

'74 Trojan Sea Raider 25'

http://www.picturetrail.com/sixbennetts

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/donny_bennett.html
Ed Edelenbos

Terry Spragg wrote:

I never again drained the fuel system, just add stabilizer, fill
the tank, turn off the fuel pump and run it till it quits.

Key phrase there... fill the tank. And, all parts (pump, carb bowl,
lines, etc.) should be emptied (i.e. running the engine with the fuel
source shut off is the easiest wat to get most of hte gas out.

I don't believe all this talk about 'bad gas', except for that
anecdote, and wonder how climatic zone recipies and storage
parameters could affect this.

A partially filled tank and gas in the lines is a recipe for trouble (imo).

My lawn mower gets gas from overwinter and has never balked,
either. I just fill it up and stop it. Maybe Canadian gas is
better, somehow?

I use old gas in my mower also. I've used it (50% mixed with fresh gas)
in my car. I can't remember it balking but... there has never been a
risk of having to paddle my mower (or car) back to shore. $100 worth of
gas isn't worth the risk in my book.

Ed

surfnturf

Never did any prep except killing the ignition. Gas lines, tank (with closed
vent) and carb left full without snake oil. No problems at all, never had to
clean carb. Just trailer to the water, then fire her up. Runs good after 10
years.

Perhaps cooler Canadian weather helps, but I suspect real problem may be
allowing gas to evaporate.

IMHOP

"Ed Edelenbos" wrote in message

Terry Spragg wrote:

[...]

Terry Spragg

Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Terry Spragg wrote:

I never again drained the fuel system, just add stabilizer, fill
the tank, turn off the fuel pump and run it till it quits.

Key phrase there... fill the tank. And, all parts (pump, carb bowl,
lines, etc.) should be emptied (i.e. running the engine with the fuel
source shut off is the easiest wat to get most of hte gas out.

I don't believe all this talk about 'bad gas', except for that
anecdote, and wonder how climatic zone recipies and storage
parameters could affect this.

A partially filled tank and gas in the lines is a recipe for trouble (imo).

Well, I don't think it's fair to call water contamination "bad
gas."

My lawn mower gets gas from overwinter and has never balked,
either. I just fill it up and stop it. Maybe Canadian gas is
better, somehow?

I use old gas in my mower also. I've used it (50% mixed with fresh gas)
in my car. I can't remember it balking but... there has never been a
risk of having to paddle my mower (or car) back to shore. $100 worth of
gas isn't worth the risk in my book.

Ed

What, you don't use your lawn mower as a lift fan for your
hovercraft?
--
Terry K - My email address is MY PROPERTY, and is protected by
copyright legislation. Permission to reproduce it is

Terry Spragg

surfnturf wrote:

Never did any prep except killing the ignition. Gas lines, tank (with closed
vent) and carb left full without snake oil. No problems at all, never had to
clean carb. Just trailer to the water, then fire her up. Runs good after 10
years.

Perhaps cooler Canadian weather helps, but I suspect real problem may be
allowing gas to evaporate.

IMHOP

By George, I think you hit a nail, there surfnturf! Keep vents
closed for storage.